AHH ARTISTE COMPILATION CD.

NO ads & promos.

Moderator:Juma4admin

TwiG

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:23 am

Sup ya'll

Im pretty new to the site but the idea sounds like a good one. If its worth anything, you got my vote. When does it start, whats needed?
Zapata

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:36 pm

I know folks who have done this before, and have myself marketed such material here in Phoenix, Arizona ( US..but its looking like I may be relocating to Tanzania, anxious to see whats up)

The toughest part of doing mixtapes and compilations is getting people paid... the best way I've found is to use online or storefront channels to distribute the work, that way sales can be tracked and artists can have third party record of what it is that they are owed...I can assist in this if this project gets legs if folks want to maybe get some units into some retailers here in Phoenix as I've worked a couple records here.

But what you want to do is come up with a standard that everyone is cool with. So if there is like just for example sake 7 songs on the album and the record sells for (forgive me I'm goin greenbacks with this example) $7, then each act takes $1, AFTER all expenses have been recouped by whoever took on the burden of pressing copies.

Someone mentioned getting music registered.. I can tell you that can be a problem because if I'm pressing copies out of my flat and you have your registered music on the comp. depending on what type of representation you have and how they collect I could be getting a letter from BMI telling me I owe you money for a compilation I pressed, then let you hustle yourself, so I gotta pay you twice now. Thats not cool. Really the best way to do it is to handle the music first, then you can decide how to breakdown the money if it is profitable (I have had to take back CDs from stores that were selling projects I was working on, thats no fun, but at least you have a finished product, you have no chance of doing anything without even that)

hope this fleshes out...I'll keep checking

also here's some of the joints I've worked on in a strategy/marketing capacity so far... look forward to adding African acts to the list

Zapata

Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:41 pm

anyone wanting to chop it up on this topic can email me at [email protected]
Sheezy

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:23 pm

What tracks are y'all plannin on hookin up?

Is there gon be track like this one?

Click the link to [email protected]

http://www.africasgateway.com/modules.p ... ic&t=15085
mr rehd

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:32 am

yo if u ask me this one of the most important threads ever on this site.so how come its dieing a premature death.wats happening?? :? :?
fecko1
Posting Freak

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:49 pm

I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS UPLOADING MY SONGS ON AFRICANHIPHOP RADIO.COM....HOPE THIS INITIATIVE AINT GONNA FLOP TECHNICALLY WHEN IT'S FINALLY BROUGHT TO BOOK?....NICE THREAD ANYWAYS....PEACE OUT!!
Westwind

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:40 pm

hmmmmmmm.....can this work..... :roll: so many complications
Omoh

Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:59 pm

Great idea!

Guesss it could work, its about mutual distrust-

Dont expect too much
  • Information