Why most Afrikan Hip Hop heads use amerikan slang?

NO ads & promos.

Moderator:Juma4admin

Tebza

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:31 pm

Rappers like to talk about "keeping it real" :!: how are you keeping it real when you're using street language from the country of your oppressors :?: Words like gatz, slugs, dope etc i don't have beef with. The word nigger is not a creation from the streets which is where hip hop is from. The word nigger is the creation of the oppressor. Just because amerikan rappers use the word so freely does not mean that the whole hip hop nation has to adopt that.

Tebza

Peace :!:
gr8kwanzini

Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:53 am

seriously. i agree with your point. i will tell you something else. what you are seeing and talking about is a result of wholesale or blind imitation. there is no filtering process; if they do it state side, it's got to be good. we gots to do it too. i say bs. y'all need to let this monkey see (monkey hear) monkey do mentality go.

in the states when they say "keep it real," they are talking about real issues and situations that affect "home boys" or "homies." with the exception of a handful of groups, such as de la soul, a tribe called quest, the roots and most of the zulu nation possee, not too many talk about afrika. they don't even have an incling of their own connectedness to the "motherland."

and, let's face it, most of the pepole who talk about "niggers" are niggers themselves. there are colored/black people, afro-americans, negroes and then there are niggers.

who are you, my brothers?
BrothaNature

Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:12 am

Yes, it is sad. Im however not put off if an African MC says, "Whats the deal, Bro", "Im Living", "Raw hip hop" "Off the hook" ect. Most African American's often use phrases mostly used in many parts of Africa. Nothing wrong w/ that. The youths NEED to be influenced by each others way of life and expression. Because these are things our parents could not or did not do, or do enough of.

The problem I see, and its not just in Africa, is these foriegn artsts who use terms that would cause OUR grandparents to turn in their graves twice.

Gat, N*gga, slugs, and all those other terms should be avoided at all costs.
panther

Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:43 pm

here's real some facts first of all us afrikan amerikanz look at nigger and nigga az 2 different words, nigger is a word use by another race to insult us as black people and nigga is use by blacks to describe a person but only use by us, i mean im not saying that's the perfect word to use but i just wanna make sure yal gett it right, because i see alot of african people using the word nigger and that's not the word u should be using out here, in the hoods out here u gone here the word nigga alot but if u come out here and u using word nigger u might hav some problems and i know u will because everytime i see that word it makes me real madd and i start looking at black people who use it as sell - outs and im pretty sure im not the only 1, so if you gone use the word say it right or dont say it use words like catz, dogg, homie, homeboy, homegurl, playa , pimp'in, character or even dude would work, people in the hood in amerika kno what im talkin bout, if u can say it right dont say it at all.

alright yal, yal be cool
PhOENIX

Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:52 pm

Normally I don't say shit I just rap.. but I disagree with a few things in this post. I agree with panther's nigga/nigger analysis.

What I don't agree with is a few things the 1st couple of people to post said. Nigger was a name given to us as African American's that we took and flipped around and made our own. It's a when life gives u lemons make lemonade sort of thing. During slavery we as african americans flipped a lot of shit people gave us and made it out own. For example we only got the left over parts of the pig that the master didn't want. What did we do? Make pigs feet, and pig lips, and chitterlings.. all of that can be traced back to slavery. Gumbo.. was nothing but everything that was left over being thrown together and seasoned. So I'd use the word regardless. 2 me it shows how we are able to inivate and change even the most morally degrading thing into something that is ours. So if U don't use the word.. hey I respect it..butdon't knock the niggaz that do.
trae_z

Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:15 am

men PHoenix i feel u 117% the rest of them folks are all...especially tebza, that fella's all confused.change is the only constant thing in life. so we are constantly adding to our language from stuff we pick up from other languages. u heard!

[quote name="PhOENIX"]Normally I don't say shit I just rap.. but I disagree with a few things in this post. I agree with panther's nigga/nigger analysis.

What I don't agree with is a few things the 1st couple of people to post said. Nigger was a name given to us as African American's that we took and flipped around and made our own. It's a when life gives u lemons make lemonade sort of thing. During slavery we as african americans flipped a lot of shit people gave us and made it out own. For example we only got the left over parts of the pig that the master didn't want. What did we do? Make pigs feet, and pig lips, and chitterlings.. all of that can be traced back to slavery. Gumbo.. was nothing but everything that was left over being thrown together and seasoned. So I'd use the word regardless. 2 me it shows how we are able to inivate and change even the most morally degrading thing into something that is ours. So if U don't use the word.. hey I respect it..butdon't knock the niggaz that do.[/quote]
Exzit

Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:15 am

Anyone and i mean anyone who uses that tired ole' "nigga means brother, but nigger means slave" excuse is just coping out. Ur uncreative and a punk straight up. This is HIPHOP u can think of a betta way to express brotha than that IF u got skillz.

I can't say i haven't said nigga but making an excuse and promoting it only makes s***t worse.
panther

Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:42 pm

YO EXZIT

if read my part i said "use by black and only blacks" meaning that if a another person use da term they should b punish and another thing im not coping out, selling out how ever u want to put it, but i said u dont have to use word nigga and i as a black male in amerkya will resepect that, how can u change something u been raise around i heard the word everything single day were i grew up its not easy trying not to use word, sometimes i say to myself that im gonna stop saying but it not easy, just like if u grew up around HIPHOP ur whole life that's all u kno is HIPHOP so u gone use HIPHOP words such as "LYRICALLY" is a popular HIPHOP word use in rhymes r freestyle and stuff like that, but i really RESPECT da black who dont use da word not saying i dont respect da people who do use but its better to say it less, so what basically trying to say is that u can't knok a person for what he or she grew up around

YAL BE COOL 2 EACH OTHER

KEEP YAL HEADZ UP
slim

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Yeah Peepz....its all good we all have different views and like we shear different moods.

Dudes...the word Nigga, to many is like to classify someone a "gangster". But even at that..no one courses him or her self....the word nigger as used by whites or people i term "Colour differentiators" is to say that we are worth dealing with...we are slaves...even OXFORD will tell you it's an offensive word for black amerikanz...

As for me, though i'd been using the word nigger...i suggest we use the word "HOMIE" instead of that....

thankz for throwing up this issue.

PEACE..
mr rehd

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:16 pm

wat do i call a negro that's seriously pissed me off?
  • Information