Underground or mainstream?

Promote your own other others' music, arts and events. African hip hop and related only.

Moderator:Juma4admin

Dareric

Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:12 am

Wassup to all, male nd female. What rap is the best commercial or undergroud? Holla, peace.
D_Infinite

Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:10 am

both, though underground has more serious artists who are more hungry..not all commercial cats are wack some dudes are real serious.

all in all the LABELS piss me off there are only two categories wack music and good music.

*watches as undeground heads go an eltist trip*
Dareric

Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:20 pm

Mos definitely man commercial is full of cats who bling bling a lot, no hating its a fact. They forgot why rap and the whole hiphop culture arose- the struggle, real rap isn' t about how many records you sell but how many souls you touch and educate, its about the message.
ProZak

Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:03 am

Do you mean commercial in a negative way, as in just making music for the money & stardom, or do you mean commercial as in selling a lot of records?

Anyway, with either connotation, it's a thin line between 'commercial' and 'underground'.

I usually don't like music that is blatantly unoriginal. Things like chingy, but also like Cannibus or other typical 'underground' battle rap. The similarities are obvious, the beats are always in some way attuned to the trend at the time(with underground it's trying to sound like mid-90's hiphop) and the lyrics are just a bunch of words that rhyme, but don't say a thing...
Dareric

Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:09 pm

ProZak, I meant commercial as in making money, rapping about nothing else but how many records the rapper has sold.
Lynxx

Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:10 am

I'm alright with either of the two as which one I think is the best. Hmm you can't really decide on that unless you've listened to every single artist from either catagory. Both commercial and underground got mediocre emcees. The thing with commercial music (IMO) is you can bump and spin it where heads go for a good time like clubs, parties etc----And as for underground music thats where most of it fails---The way I see it underground emcees are more on the serious note---and nowadays everybody got their own problem to worry about---and no one wants to listen to what someone else got to say unless it's something they can benefit from.....owell I don't know----thats just my 2 cent---outtttt
BrothaNature

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:03 am

[quote name="Dareric"]Wassup to all, male nd female. What rap is the best commercial or undergroud? Holla, peace.[/quote]

I like some of both and I see nothing wrong w/ making money off of the music as long as its benefiting the Hip Hop community, as opposed to the major corporations.

Until all Hip Hop artists, Dj's, ect learn to use their money to control what WE want to see/project, it will be exploited.
panther

Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:46 am

i agree wit some of yal i like both because hiphop is just something u listenin on da lyrical positive tip and commercial rapperz is what u bump at parties and clubs so people can hav a good time, but if u tryin 2 make money im sorry 2 say diz but real hip hop aint gone sale as well as commercial rap i mean cuz if i had 2 choose it would definetly b rap cuz datz mostly what i grew up on and datz basically what i consider myself, reason 4 cuz we all kno hip hop started on da east coast but dey never gave us people on da west coast props 4 what we done, so west coast catz wasnt feelin dat and dey form music better known as gangsta rap, the clubs and parties were off da hook because of r beats make people wanna dance and bob dey headz, but anyway i give propz 2 all no matter if itz real hip hop r gangsta rap r whatever u consider it

alright yal
rogue

Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:42 pm

There's a difference between rap and hiphop, people seem to commonly confuse the two. I prefer real hiphop, in the case of calling it underground hiphop, seems to be a bit degrading, to mention underground=under-rated. I don't go for commercial, because there's no truth in any of it. There's a thousand songs about the same thing; and just to imagine the thought that they actually get paid as much as they do to mislead a generation of kids who don't see the subliminal messege in chains and whips.
dj_deswab

Tue May 31, 2005 8:48 am

well spoken Lynxx, this is the problem that we are faced with, try to make the money and appeal to the masses or stay to your art form and be hungry...
  • Information