Learn&share how to survive doing what you love, hip hop

Moderator: Juma4admin

Black Noise

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Just completed a solo album and ready to put these suggestions that i shared with you guys into effect again.

I read in the newspaper last week tat PROKID is selling his album outside the clibds in JHB. Thats the way you get the product out to the masses. ts the only way to get results. You have to take your future into into your own hands. Most MCs think that is the stock is in the store that they should sit back and wait for the money come flowing in in buckets ... mmmm I have bad news, unless you are the darling of the media and you get more marketing in South African media than international artists ... not much of that product moves off the shelves without you doing some work to move it.

I have heard from so many artists how the marketing of the labels are so pathetic. SO, the only way to make that money from your ceativity. Its also more interesting when the audience can buy the products and still get to speak to you as well as get that autograph. We do not have a national tour circuit and if we had, more artists would realise that they can make so much more money when they are in the communities and the people realy like them, but many times tey find it difficult to get the products from the usicas etc. This is a huge problem in our country. We need to look at the reality of how people go shopping for fod mostly and the younger ones go with a specific mission, but have to add the cost of travel to get to your CD in store that has so much more products that will compete with local when the prices are too close. So PROs idea of getting that product to the masses like a pusher, is exactlywhat more people need to do. Gumshev have performed at the cape festival and got them amazing kwaito performance across to the masses that were in the Gardens. They also have 15 schools exposed to them during the time they were in the ity. Truth is that this is lacking nationally. People want to see who tey see on TV in their towns, but when have the big rap groups in South Africa toured the whole country to market anything??? Thats what we need to do to expand the hip hop audience and belief in the artist by the peoples who support, but live in small towns throughout South Africa. remember that they are your livelyhood and its becase of them that you are in the lime-light, so give back by coming out to be with them and show that you apprecate their support and in the same way create new fans in places that are considered too small by South Africas corporates.

Until next time

peace[/size]
Black Noise

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Just completed a solo album and ready to put these suggestions that I shared with you guys into effect again.

I read in the newspaper last week that PROKID is selling his album outside the clubs in JHB. Thats the way you get the product out to the masses. Its the only way to get results. You have to take your future into into your own hands. Most MCs think that if the stock is in the stores that they should sit back and wait for the money come flowing in, in buckets ... mmmm I have bad news, unless you are the darling of the media and you get more marketing in South African media than international artists do ... not much of that product moves off the shelves without you doing some work to move it.

I have heard from so many artists how the marketing of the labels are so pathetic. SO, the only way to make that money from your ceativity is to be in the public eye 24/7. Its also more interesting when the audience can buy the products and still get to speak to you as well as get that autograph. We do not have a national tour circuit and if we had, more artists would realise that they can make so much more money when they are in the communities and the people really like them, but many times they find it difficult to get the products from the Musicas etc. This is a huge problem in our country. We need to look at the reality of how people go shopping for food first and foremostly and how the younger ones go with a specific mission, but have to add the cost of travel to get to your CD in store that has so much more products that will compete with local, when the prices are too close. So PROs idea of getting that product to the masses like a pusher, is exactly what more people need to do. Gumshev have performed at the Cape Festival and have an amazing kwaito performance that they put across to the masses that were in the Gardens. They also had 45 schools exposed to them during the time they were in the City. Truth is that this is lacking nationally. People want to see who they see on TV in their towns, but when have the big rap groups in South Africa toured the whole country to market anything??? Thats what we need to do to expand the hip hop audience and belief in the artist, by the peoples who support, but live in small towns throughout South Africa. Remember that they are your livelihood and its because of them that you are in the lime-light, so give back by coming out to be with them and show that you apprecate their support and in the same way create new fans in places that are considered too small by South Africas corporates.

Until next time

peace[/size]
kaydee

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:17 am

@ Blacknoise

God bless your fingers!
Black Noise

Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 pm

Free Videos teaching yBreakdance Basics, just send your postal address

Peace All

I see the need for those who know to teach those who want to know and have thus decided to expand the participants in B-Boying / B-Girling throughout Africa by offering these free Breakdance Basic videos. I will post to each area that applies for the free video tape. I will also cover the cost of posting it to you. Its my way of putting back into the culture in the hope that it grows even more. I host Batle of the year South Africa and ave noticing that many dancers are not teaching the next generation, so we have to pass on the information in this way. It is my hope that African Hip Hop Indaba will include crews from the rest of Africa as well in the near future.

All you have to do is send me your contact details. Name and Address will be needed to post this to you. Those interested in South Africa I will send afew more OK, but send me your postal address ASAP. You can also mail me direct at [email protected] or place it on his site and I will send it to you. We have 20, so send your info immediately.

Peace

Emile YX? [/size]
Black Noise

Thu May 03, 2007 12:46 pm

Hello All

If you ave read many of what I have said on this topic, you will find that I have attended many meetings with people that know abou this topic, whereas I have also read a great deal of information from books. Right their is the huge problem... Most of the hip hop community does not read enough, so it makes sense that this information is held away from the masses of people so that they can continue to oppress the ignorant MCs or singers.

I see that many MCs are up on the internet spreading their details, songs and other information to market themselves. It will help to find links the sites that give information about self-management, marketing of your product, etc... I have decided to do that type of search too and read more from what the net has to offer

Check out this book at amazon.com This Business of Artist management

www.amazon.com/Business-Artist-Management-Howard-Blumenthal/dp/0823077055+Artist+Management&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11&gl=za]http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:d- ... d=11&gl=za[/url]

Management Agencies in South Africa

http://www.1212.com/ontheroad/managersouth/home.html

Peak Performance - South Africa

http://www.peakperformances.co.za/

I got these from just typing in Artist Management in South Africa. You can also try and get a copy of th book THE SCORE, which has all the record labels number, media numbers for self marketing, venues that host live performances, where to gt your CD pressed, who does distribution, managements, event cooridnations, festivals etc ... You can call Alex at 021 4220312. You see you have to read as much as you can to get the nformation you need. It is out their it is also about making the first call and then all the others come easy.Their is no harm in asking for help and you can only learn from asking for hel from ohers who have the information you are seeking. In the same way that we see most MCs just getting their work out to the masses on the net ... which is cool ... but how serious are you really about geting your work out to all the people. If this is just a hobby for most people then that is cool, but if youwant to make a living from your art, YOU MUST READ as much as you can to get all the information you. You must also realise that you areneer too old to learn and that you always have to be open to new information and opportunities that you might do for free at first and then one you have done the first few things for free and people see that you are really as good as you said you are, they might take on management of you crew or you as an individual ... it is however important to not sit back and have them do everything for you, because no one knows what you want more than what you do, so you have to be active in directing them to what your goals are and also keep them on their feet as to your real agenda. This also makes them feel that you are eager and worth helping because you are so active and ineterested in your future and that helps them focus on you more than others in their management stable because you are around all the time with ideas and I dont mean just be around and pester people cause that I cause them to drop you or get tired of your insistant pestering them with "Do you have anythig for me yet?" Rather come with ... I have calld these people and they are interested in a gig or deal or intervor show that you made an effort and if they dont push you will do things on your own ... so they feel they have to prov themselves to you and not you o the any longer. It also puts them on their toes. Never make them feel that you are dependent on them. They must feel that you are independent and they have to proof themselves to you.

Good luck and keep reading

Emile
Black Noise

Thu May 03, 2007 12:50 pm

Hello All

If you ave read many of what I have said on this topic, you will find that I have attended many meetings with people that know abou this topic, whereas I have also read a great deal of information from books. Right their is the huge problem... Most of the hip hop community does not read enough, so it makes sense that this information is held away from the masses of people so that they can continue to oppress the ignorant MCs or singers.

I see that many MCs are up on the internet spreading their details, songs and other information to market themselves. It will help to find links the sites that give information about self-management, marketing of your product, etc... I have decided to do that type of search too and read more from what the net has to offer

Check out this book at amazon.com This Business of Artist management

www.amazon.com/Business-Artist-Management-Howard-Blumenthal/dp/0823077055+Artist+Management&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=11&gl=za]http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:d- ... d=11&gl=za[/url]

Management Agencies in South Africa

http://www.1212.com/ontheroad/managersouth/home.html

Peak Performance - South Africa

http://www.peakperformances.co.za/

I got these from just typing in Artist Management in South Africa. You can also try and get a copy of th book THE SCORE, which has all the record labels number, media numbers for self marketing, venues that host live performances, where to gt your CD pressed, who does distribution, managements, event cooridnations, festivals etc ... You can call Alex at 021 4220312. You see you have to read as much as you can to get the nformation you need. It is out their it is also about making the first call and then all the others come easy.Their is no harm in asking for help and you can only learn from asking for hel from ohers who have the information you are seeking. In the same way that we see most MCs just getting their work out to the masses on the net ... which is cool ... but how serious are you really about geting your work out to all the people. If this is just a hobby for most people then that is cool, but if youwant to make a living from your art, YOU MUST READ as much as you can to get all the information you. You must also realise that you areneer too old to learn and that you always have to be open to new information and opportunities that you might do for free at first and then one you have done the first few things for free and people see that you are really as good as you said you are, they might take on management of you crew or you as an individual ... it is however important to not sit back and have them do everything for you, because no one knows what you want more than what you do, so you have to be active in directing them to what your goals are and also keep them on their feet as to your real agenda. This also makes them feel that you are eager and worth helping because you are so active and ineterested in your future and that helps them focus on you more than others in their management stable because you are around all the time with ideas and I dont mean just be around and pester people cause that I cause them to drop you or get tired of your insistant pestering them with "Do you have anythig for me yet?" Rather come with ... I have calld these people and they are interested in a gig or deal or intervor show that you made an effort and if they dont push you will do things on your own ... so they feel they have to prov themselves to you and not you o the any longer. It also puts them on their toes. Never make them feel that you are dependent on them. They must feel that you are independent and they have to proof themselves to you.

Good luck and keep reading

Emile
Black Noise

Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:26 pm

Peace My Brothers and Sisters

Its been a while since I wrote on this forum. You often hear that Hip Hop is a game and if you are interested in geting a deal from the status quo ... then yes, hip hop is a game. many people that are the most revolutionary have chosen to play the game offered to them in the form of a deal. Hip Hop so-called revolutionary artists that release CDs through their structures are doing just that. To get your words out in all their shops, their network that they own and encourage to sell their version of this world, THEY ARE PLAYING A GAME ON OUR MINDS. That right there enriches the very enemy that these revolutionary rappers are talking about. How is that liberating the masses, who mostly are white kids with access to money to purchase these products. Another world exists that extends beyond the universities and colleges that have students buying "conscious rap" and do studies in the content of these revolutionary MCs. the world that is supposed to be the one that these artist are talking to about rising up. What a contradiction. I find that in South African revolutionary underground deep hip hop too ... you find MCs talking about how deep their rhymes are and yet tey on;y perform in front of tourists in the city centre and then they are the frst to say how their words impact on the mids of the masses. Which masses are they talking about? You see, I find it contradictory to hear a revolutionary MC rap within the structure about being a liberator of minds... whose minds and how is that benefiting the masses of people when these words do not extend beyond just being words.

I often here people talk about how Cape Town Hip Hop is so real and so deep and that it impacts on the political situation ... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING ... We have never impacted on the political scene in Cape Town, if we did , do you think that "tik" would be so big here? We speak revolution, but our actions as a collective are yet to get a bit of a reaction from parliament, because as far as they are concerned, we are just confused youth that are rebelling before we settle down and get a real job. We are yet to make real our words in South Africa as a hip hop community. When we et to put our words into action and stop trying to ge the next deal or the next fancy car or just impress our handful of friends that we think is the whole world. Then will we open our eyes to the reality of what is out here controlling this matrix that we skim the surface of. You see my brothers and sisters, until we make the smallest of inroads to change the "WAY THINGS ARE", we are nothing more than a marginalised subculture to them that has no impact on them. Unless we demand change through marches and pickets and rebellion, we will not be a threat. We need to be the voice that we claim we truly are here in the little USA of Africa. South Africa has become the way in for all these multinational companies to re-enslave the African majority. Selling us their version of success and making it look cool to have what we deserved all along. You see rappers in all these soft drink, clothing, car, food commercials and sounding American etc and then you say shit like, we are just paying the bills ... when in truth we are endorsing their revolution against our freedom. I am guilty of this too and wonder how we will change this from the inside out ... OR is it just to go cold turkey and say F%&k them and create our own. Truth be told that the more we invite them in, the more they push us out and stop Africa from really being liberated. We are so hungry that we will kill our most revolutionary of leaders for the smallest fee here in Africa and the masses will never know who paid for the hit. That is revolution ... knowing that they are willing to kill you and still saying what needs to be said. Most of our so-called hardcore rappers are lying about being revolutionary because they are changing nothing ... thems just bluffing ...

Whats your thoughts???? How do we create our own free distribution and get the word out that will change Africa and leave Africans in control ...

We are a WAR!!!!! Dont believe their hype?

Emile YX?
kast1
Posting Freak

Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:42 pm

man, i never tire reading your posts... they are filled with so much knowledge, and i am saddened because i dont think many people take the time to actually read your ideas and opinions, which address the most vital topics regarding hiphop, as well as human nature... although, there are some aspects i dont quite feel are correct esspecially in my case... i sometimes get the feeling/vibe call it what you want, that you have slight racist views, im not here to argue, im only voicing my opinion based on what i read and esspecially what i hear,( i have bought every blacknoise album). yes i am white. but i a genuine love for african hiphop, more specifically south african hiphop, and before you say i was able to buy your albums cause i had the money to, for the fact i am white, because that is not the case. i have had to work EXTREMELY hard for my funds where 90% goes into buying music, because i strongly disagree with downloading music off the net for free... it goes against the cause of the artist, and is basically stealing the food when they have hardly enough to eat, which is usually the case with african hiphop artists... but you see, i was born in africa, though i am white of colour, i consider myself african... many people believe you are what your ancestors are, and i know you do, through listening to your music... but mindset is that i am me, i might have come into existence through my ancestors, but that is as far as it goes, i strongly disagree with some of my ancestors did(the apartheid era) but "I" am not ashamed, for i had nothing to do with it, and to pass on the flaws of my ancestors onto me because we share the same blood is not only irrational, but hypocrictal if you are a true hiphop head, because hiphop as a culture inspires and supports originality, and thats what i am, i am myslef, not anything else, i have my own views and thoughts on the world... i have strongly supported south african hiphop, and i will continue to...

its all love

peace
Black Noise

Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:41 am

Peace My Brother

It is ironic that you mail me this mail today as I have just returned from the Project Breaking Launch that is set up to confront the racism in Cape Town. We invited a great deal of people from the hip hop community to attend and we had many young people from the Cape Flats and only one white guy. Many of the youth asked why white South Africans don't seem to be interested in reconciliation or dealing with the issue of racial priviledge thanks to the history of this country and the world. I would have loved to have more brothers and sisters from the so-called white community attend the event to answer this question and even suggest ways to get more interaction happening.

You see, my brother, because of our past we have racist perspectives of each other and without even realising it, we have benefitted from the history of colonialism. I know that you love Africa and want to see change come about, but you have to understand that it demands participation from all of us and an inderstanding of our benefit from history. Being white implies that in history your family benefited from the exploitation of the local. Even being so-called coloured brought a bit less oppression because of being half whie and we have to accept that and find ways to address our benefit form the exploitation of the locals. Even the Xhosa exploited the San in this region. This land belonged to them, but if you listen to the names today, you will guess that they were never here. You see we all are living as a result of what as gone before and thus we can not make statements like its not me , it was my ancestors. We have to take the responsibility of our benefiting from what has gone before, the mental turmoil that that past has caused to others in South Africa and our role in reversing that by participating in changing it. Recently on Mnet they had the story of Brett Goldberg being kiled here by the hands of kids from the Cape Flats. hey again painted us all with one brush and their - a jewish white story was told ... from their perspective and that was not seen as racist. You see , eve today we have to look at images of us being white versions of who we are. The SOn , the Voice, The Argus paint a picture of us and we are faced with that racist view of who we are and THATS OK, But when someone says something wrong about Jews or the European community, they have the means to retaliate with the media that they own and control. You see that is not seen as racist. when they show so-called coloureds as gangsters and klpose on every damn show on SABC ... thats OK, because they control that perspective and its not racist. But when you speak of the racist ways of white people as a collective ... thats immediately retaliated against because its too general. BUT, when I walk in a shop and they follow me because they see all who look like me as a gangster or thief, then thats OK and we should just take it as it is. When they play only Booty Shaking Rap on their TV and on their radio or show us as the bad guys ... thats OK ... because we cant change that ... they own the media. Irrespective of the FACT that most of the murders on the planet through colonialization, the conquestadors, crusades, World War 1 & WW2, Iraq, Afganistan, etc were the acts of the white minority on the locals, as well as the mental deterioration of African peoples to hate self , so they kill who look like them and thus the destruction of African countries by tyrants who were educated by the same European forces to do as they did and oppress their own once the oppressors gave them so-called liberation. With all of this you would think that the world would be more affraid of white people than blacks, who continue to be painted in a negative light in the media globaly.

So you see, understanding that is important to young white brothers and sisters to see the world through our eyes and why you have to engage in these discussion in our beloved South Africa to bring a new perspective and to really create SOUTH AFRICANS that look beyond colour. I really do try to speak without reffering to race, but if the truth is that white people were the cause of the sufferng, I am not going to speak abstractly. We all have to face up to our contributions to racism and fighting racism in order to heal. I hope that you realise that many of us speak in these terms because it is what we know right now and who feels offended still see them as that race ... many of us have moved beyond that classification to see ourselves as HUMAN - INDIVIDUAL - SOUTH AFRICAN - and not only that race or a race and I hope that you are able to take the actions to let your deeds exclude you from being a race or a part of that history and to a new status of HUMAN & SOUTH AFRICAN by your actions and contributionsto bring about change. We all need to work together in order to really change the legacy of Apartheid. I hope that you could look beyond the label and assist in the change that is needed. Hip Hop is just an extention of what society is all about. We can lie to ourselves that it is not racist, but it is. White record companies pimp artists and take 90% of their cash, that racist, radio stations only play commercial shit that sells products and make our sisters look like hos, thats raicts, they show idiots from our communities selling our communities short as gangster rappers, thats racists ... so hip hop is a reflection of what is happening in the real world. Its a racist world that only plays USA white minority movies in a country where the people are all mostly black ... thats racist, but you see were taught to not see that. If you close your eyes and picture the world, picture each continent and ask what color people are and you will find that whites are the minority on the planet, but if you wach TV and Movies and Newspaper and CNN and BBC, you will never say that whites are a minority. That is done with racist intention to control perception in the same way that white is seen a s good and black is seen as bad.

So you see my brother, the long walk to freedom is much longer than was painted by Tata Madiba. We all have to take that long walk of discovery and examine the truth that are hidden behind the lies of capitalist intention that unfortunately for you my brother is giving white people and really bad name. You have to be standing up against those who misrepresent you and other who look like you and tell them to stop their shit and not speak on your behalf. Its a racist world that uses race to divide and conquer the masses of people, so we MUST address issues of race and interact and talk and find solutions collectively. PARTICIPATE, THATS REALLY WHAT DEMOCRACY IS ABOUT ... GET INVOLVED AND MAKE REAL THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE..

Anyway, enough for now. I hope you will join us in our quest to address the issue of race ... Ironically after we left the venue 6 white cops arrested the co-ordinator of the venue Mandy, for "interfering" in a booking of a taxi driver who was double parking outside District 6 Homecoming Centre. I was so pissed off at this white woman who seemed to be convinced that she was right just because of the uniform, but you see its also about the hstory of race and of power and respect and being a woman and being an asshole and personality and just taking herself too serious as a female cop in a male world and a million other bullshit that went with what happened when Mandy asked her why she was writing the taxi driver a fine ... Im sure that if Mandy was white, her reaction would not be the same???? Damn! we have long way to go

Peace

Emile YX?
kast1
Posting Freak

Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:20 pm

i hear what you saying, and alot of it i can relate to, you most likely wont remember, but about 4 or 5 years ago i ordered a breakdance tape and blacknoise top from you... haha, you can not imagine how much work i had to do to get the money, but, i didnt see it like that, you know when you have a passion for something, whatever you spend on that "passion" seems like money well spent... i remember watching that bboy tape till it bugged out, and broke... i lived in a town, where hiphop was near non existent, i started off my bboy interest from there, i was already graffing, and i just started writing lyrics... me and a few friends,( we were all of different race black, coloured, indian, white, ect) started a bboy session/class... we started off with just 8 of us, but eventually we got about 50 people coming twice a week, the main reason was for bboying, but eventually we started having mc sessions, man, what im saying is, regardless of colour, we all came together for the love of hiphop, and thats saying alot for a south african town... we started doing shows, at local schools, churchs, shops... we came together for benches(graff sessions) painted every bridge in town!!! we all put in like R3 every session, to pay for the hall we used to practice in... we even used the money to get a cd player... i remember, through some coincidental occurances, we met up with "mak1one" the well know CT graff artist, as well as faith, we were shocked they had come to a small town like ours, i remember a bunch of us went painting with them, we learnt so much, when they left we were all so inspired... we put in all the money we had, and bought cans... only a few of us chilled with maks, but when we showed his pieces he drew in our sketch books to our friends, it was crazy that just a sketch could inspire almost everyone who saw it... what im trying to say is, i know what you mean when you say we must try and make a difference, i like to think we did, for as small a 50 people is, it was incredible for such a small town... and i dont even want to touch on the race side of it, but to get together with all this people made me love hiphop for what it is, not the music, not the bboying or mcing, but for the culture, all those elements combined as one!!! though i have moved due to certain circumstances, i know that every sat everyone still meets up at the library, and when ever i go to visit, i have the best of times... we started it off, so long ago, and its amazing to see its till going... i remember reading on one of your black noise posters, "start your own heal the hood community"... well we did... and im glad i was apart of it.. i know this sounds so insignificant and to be honest it is, i wish i could be a part of the things you guys have down, like the indaba, but im proud of what we achieved!!

eh, im babbling, i must go, im already late for work...

peace fam...
  • Information