Learn&share how to survive doing what you love, hip hop

Moderator: Juma4admin

Black Noise

Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:05 pm

Thats what we need to remember ultimately. We need to remember that we are family and family have each others best interest at heart.

Power to you for reaching out and making this conversation a reality. I hope that you keep in touch and that we can continue to make things happen for our community in the future.

Thanks

Emile
Black Noise

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:10 pm

Im off on tour again. I have read that a great deal of MCs are releasing their product internationally. Thats great! You need to get people hearing and listening to what you have to say. I gave one of my tracks to Afro-lution and that release opened so many doors for others who were interested in what I had to say and it has been included in studies and documentaries and many more ways of getting the word out to the world.

You see, my brothers and sisters. You have to remember that it is a new dawn and that you have to sacrifice control at first, so that you can create awareness of who you are and what you are doing. You also have to remember that people do not know who you are and if you are independent, they have even less of a clue that you exist in a world where these signed artists release products each year and have all the media backing that you will never have if you are speaking the truth. Once you know that, you should get your words out to the masses and even look at creating an ongoing relationship with the person releasing you song and ask if you could tour the country where the release is happening and find ways to raise the money yourself to go and promote that Cd they released and draw attention specifically to your track. Now most MCs have a plus in that they are good MCs and that is the main thing that they do, so they will have advantage with this. In my case I go and take full show ... which needs more than the skills of a modern day current MC. I bring a show that will kick the ass of any other performance that is on the bill and inevitably they will invite you back again and again.

Now just imagine you do the very same thing in South Africa. get to promote your song in each town through people you kow who can play it on radio stations and have others listen to what you have to say and how you say it. Now think that its cheaper than travelling to the other side of the world. Save your money and do launches in other provinces and get people to listen to what you have to say. If radio will not play it ... Put it out their and give it away if you have to get peoples attention. thats what they do in the States to get people to listen to their shit. Thats how many artist break into the scen nd thats what we need more of here. Shows where people will come from around the country and dont tell me about it being expensive to travel and all that excuses ... the time for excuses are over Stop buying beer at others gigs that you get in for free at and stop buying airtime and stop wasting your cash on stupid shit or buying the latest mag to see who got on the CD ... to hell with that ... take your money and make t work for you.

If you believe in yourself and what you have to say and what you putting out for the people to learn from or just listen to and enjoy, then others will believe in you too. Too many MCs do not really believe in their abilityto invest in it themselves, so who the hell will invest in it if you do not???? Think about that ... you must firstly show confidence in your own shit before others will and you must believe enough to convince others to invest in it ... People talk crap about all these signed artists in SA at the moment and I find it ironic that they do not see that these guys work hard and they also made the first steps to get heard and do the work to market what they have to say. It does not matter what their level of rhyming or content is. The trut be that they are willing to make that sacrifice and they believe in themselves more than most of these so-called hardcore underground MCs. That is true revolution ... I am not talking about signing a deal witht he devil , no, I am talking about you living that knowledge of self you keep talking about. Im talking about you making those sacrifices and facing your insecurities and taking the step that will seperate you from the millions of MCs that wih they did ... To hell with fitting in and singing along with the many ... be YOUR OWN MAN OR WOMAN and live your words ... Make your words REAL. Success will only come to those willing to do the work.

Peace Until next time ...

Leave your rhymes at home and bring your deeds to the battle ...

Emile YX?

http://www.emileyx.co.za
Black Noise

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:30 am

Emile here trying to get some MCs interested in contributing a track dealing with racism or race related rhymes to Project Breaking

PROJECT BREAKING

Introduction of the Project and its intention:-

- to become the equal and opposite force that slows and stops this racist legacy of Apartheid & colonialism

- to break the divide by physically moving people to each others communities

- to address the issue of racial tension in the western cape

- to record a theme song and music video to unite our youth/ future

- to pre-empt the racial war that is brewing in our township, already obvious by the Somalian killings

- to address Xenophobia and economic inequalities

- to encourage interaction, discussion and taking action between all peoples

- to release RAPSS Volume 2

- to have a newsletter/ newspaper

- to develop new artistic skills in the communities

- Discussion about:-

- what the youth and hip hop community would like to see happen

- the racial tension in the Western Cape and South Africa.

- governments usage of Apartheid language

- physical divide of apartheid remains

- apathy about each other perpetuates racism

- who really controls the finance and uses race to keep us divided

- race and religion used to spark genocide

- their media control thats used to keep the masses divided

We are asking MCs to contribute an ANTI -RACISM TRACK or related track. All text will be put into a booklet in the form of R.A.P.S.S Volume 2. We will be doing short recordings with MCs from Cape Town for the DVD and others from around the Country can send their footage along explaining their feelings about racism in South AFrica as well as info about the song they are contributing to the projects CD & DVD release. All CDs, DVDs and Books will be placed in the libraries and schools around the Western Cape that are interested in stocking them. I just launched my own CD RAPSS and Hip Hop How to DVD with stocking libraries and scholos for free. Interested MCs can send tracks to [email protected] or [email protected] Please mail the rhyme text to the same email addresses. Any language with translation into English of the text will be cool. If you are in Cape Town and cant record footage of yourself call me at 0217060481 and 0823958125. Post the Video footage of your interview and make sure to include images of the communitis that you live in to:-

PROJECT BREAKING

P.O.Box 31184

Grassy Park 7888

Cape Town 8000

South African

Peace

Emile YX?[/size]
Black Noise

Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 pm

Taking Responsibility for our own futures[/size]

I know its been a while. As many of you know that I have been doing B-Boy events for a long time and recently hosted an event that made me question my reason for spreading the dnace and making these possibilities available to youth. It also made me hear the true raw hate that we feel towards each other when one creates and others envy that ability. We had participants that wanted to win irrespective of the judges decision and that was strange, because the exact ruling placed them in the final the previous year. It was also a force of the crowd that they brought along that made everything seem so sad that we feel that to win is more important than doing our best.

It was alos ironic that these same people participate in other competitions where the judges are white and their silence and respect shown to these people are so contradictory to what they showed the elders from their own community. Apartheid did a real good job. I was amazed at what I felt that I had played a role in creating and the influence that these older guys will have on the next generations respect for their elders. That all said ... my point was th responsibility to know that I am not good enough or the best and that this is just this judges decision and does not reflect the worlds opinion of me. Secondly, if I am entering a competition where the prize is winning a trip to the world champs in Germany or Korea, then I should have passport in order to win the prize to participate in that competition. Again, I was amazed at how easily we make excuses on behalf of ourselves and do not take the responsibility for not making sure that w have everything sorted ahead of time.

I have given local artists work where all they had to do is be on time and then perform only for the allocated time. That is you responsibility to ensure that the organisers invite us back in the future. You overstay your time on stage is detroying our reputation with the organisers. That is not good for hip hop. We have to learn to take responsibilty as artists. We say a time for a meeting, w make that time or phone before-hand to say that we are going to be a bit late if we cannot help for being late (and that has to be a life or death reason). We say we are going to make a living from this, but are we responsibl enough to save the money we earn or create ways that we can keep earning cash and be responsible as artists. Are we responsible to not have children when we cant even feed ourselves as artists. Why would we briong a child into our responsibilityless world. Will we be responsible for that life all its life and do what we need to do to feed and take care of that life.

You career in South Africa is no one elses responsibility but your own, so if you do not make it ... you only have yourself to blam ... buy nah ... not us, we always have to blame others for our lack of drive or effortor straight forward laziness ... cause you see, w are not willing to be real men and admit that its our fault and we take that responsibility on our own shoulders. Thats when real success and change in the local hip hop seen will come.

Take Responsibility for your own career. e
Black Noise

Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 am

Damn! its been a long time since I added something to this .... Anyway, its really interesting times with so many people getting their music out nationally independently and signed.

I have been hosting this platform for artists to perform at Zula Bar all of 2009. This year we want to up the game by getting some funders to get some real payment for local artists on that platform. If your crew or you as a solo artist is interested, let me know at 021 7060481. Our next session is on the 28th Jan 2010 @ Zula Bar. I am also planning a 10 leg tour of schools once Black Noise new CD is ready for release. I wanna get more artists on the bill for that as well. Send me your demo to :- Emile YX? P.O.Box 31184, Grassy Park 7888, Cape Town 8000 or email your link to [email protected].

Keep the ACTION coming.

Peace

Emile YX? www.emileyx.co.za

Black Noise www.blacknoise.co.za

Heal the Hood Project www.healthehood.org [/size]
Black Noise

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Internalization of the Knowledge of Self we read in Hip Hop

I have read great deal of information during my years of Black Consciousness and Knowledge of Self. I know many others have done the same and that hip hop specifically has played a major role in peoples development.

I have seen people that I have taught take credit for their growth and never mention where they learnt the basic revolutionary knowledge from (Hip Hop) that is or just being exposed to that trend of thought thanks to hanging ou with Black Noise members or POC or Zulu Nation. I see that and have footage of some of the best b-boys whe they first attended workshops with us on the Cape Fats and when people interview them, they say well, I saw it on TV and never give credit to thosewho really took the time to teach them and share the information with them. instead they do what most hip hoppers do ... credit Wild Style or Beat Street. I think its abot that desire to not give respect to where it is due. It is the same reason that we do not have any local pionners that are respectedby the newer generation and why South Africa always give praise to Americans and seldom to their own. I remember naming the crew "Ubuntu", because I had hope that the state of mind would change ... I remember starting BOTY in the hope that we would represent South Africa and not our own egos, I see people that claim to have been friends spread vicious rumours about the events that we run, having never really worked and struggled on the events without getting paid or paying the etra to send the crew to Germany themselves, I see people make documentaries about dancers going to Germany, but never once in the documentary saying how they get to go or who sends them and not that we do it for that reason, but just to see the hatred from the very people you try to help ... it takes really knowing ones self and seeing the self hate that causes them to lash out at those who try and help. I remember working my ass off for Black Noise members to get paid from trips to Europe and America and all you get from members are requests for more and seldom thanks. I remember fetching members of BN and different crews to get basic practice together and all you get is their desire for more from you. I remember BOTY calling to say that the South African team stole from other people in Germany and how these same people return here and sound as if they are angels. Is this the nature of our hip hop community. A thankless and self glorifying and helper hating society?

I thought I would share these thoughts with whoever has interest in the real power that is needed to DO and how easy it is to TALK and claim all the fame that others have laid the foundation for. For the next generation to really overstand the importance of knowledge of self... It is about living the example of your saviour and be WILLING TO BE CRUCIFIED. Being a born again human is about seeing the reasons behind peoples actions and that true liberation is about internalization of the information that we read as knowledge of self and even that information is infinite, hence the Universal Zulu Nations Infinity Lessons. "I am me because of others" is about this knowledge that we are who we are because of othersthat have helped us to become better and if we deny our roots and these people, we deny all that we can be and thus are incomplete people.

Just some thoughts before the BN 20th Anniversary. I am me because of all that has happened and that will happen to me. I have been blessed to be influenced by great people in our coutnry and internationally. People like Ashley Kriel, King Jamo, Patrick Hickey, Marley D Marlon Miller, Deon Miller, Michael Jones, Edmund Jones, Timothy Bateman, .... Steve Biko, Afrika Bam, Chuck D, Robbie Jansen, hilton Schilder and many many many more ... I think that the internalisation of that information by a few, made them become better people beyond the skill they learnt, but ultimately those who learnt from it at least had the pleasure of being exposed to it. What I am trying to get across to the hip hop community is that this information has helped people to develop beyond just being kwaai breakers or rappers or whatever. I completely overstand that teachers teach without the expectation of credit, but what I am saying is that the learner is only able to really grow and benefit the society by acknowledging that who they are is because of others and that it is their silent duty to pass that information on to others. All said about Brian and whoever else, they at least gave people alternative information. They are human like everyone else and make mistakes, but they overstood the importance of passing on information to others. When I speak to internalisation of K.O.S., I speak of those who know to teach or supply information to those who don't. What they do wth that information is always up to them, but it would stupid of me to think that what we teach or pass on is of no importance and that everyone's intake is based on what they want. Information is power and thus they will feed off what they fed. This is why corporations own media, they over-stand that it is not knowledge that is power, but it is who controls the content of that information who actually has power of the minds of the masses. The jobs that teachers do is a thankless one, but to really counter what exists, one has to set he student on the right path and not just assume that they will find the best information. Who controls that creates the perspective of the day.
  • Information