Talib Kweli in Lagos, gave props to Mode 9

Moderator:Juma4admin

I-Shine

Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:02 am

Not only did he step into Nigeria, Talib Kweli is still very much live here in Lagos. He stepped in a few days ago to shoot a music video, courtesy MTV making the video and Shell Nigeria. Yeah we talking about one of the biggest oil producing company in Africa and the biggest music network in Africa coming together to embark and execute a unique project. Talib spoke on HipHop and what he had perceived so far in Nigeria. He said “I was surprised that the people I hung out with yesterday (Rhythm 93.7) even knew about the culture than a lot of other cats in the United States and I was watching TV the previous day and saw Mode 9’s ‘Nigerian Girls’ and I was completely shocked to see that Nigeria has got a guy like this. The video was lovely and I was at the radio station the next day free styling with some of these cats and I gat to say I’m impressed” The camera is not rolling on Talib alone now; it also waters down to our own African Rockstar, Uchie, grandson of national icon late Agu Ironsi. He stepped into the scene in grand style, disrespecting the odds and impressively signing his name into main stream with his popping single ‘African Rockstar’ from his album ‘Live from within’. He stepped further with his ‘I am unique’ single which eventually has earned him not only a sponsored music video by Shell, Nigeria and MTV Base but to be directed by international directors Coodie and Chike (Nigerian) and also to feature cameo appearance of Talib Kweli. The first parts of the videos have been shot and the concluding part will be shot on the 8th of December. Scene concept is a party flick where Talib and Uchie will be performing to a live audience. MTV making the video in conjunction with Shell offers an outstanding view and exploit of the creative process involved in the construction of a music video of top notch quality and standard. In a chat with the directors, they divulge their happiness and excitement to have been a part of this project. For Chike he said “I am from this part of the world, and so coming to Nigeria and to be a part of this unique project is a very fulfilling one for me and that is why I gave it my best shot and like you can see, I gat my buddy Coodie holding it down for me as well” We also spoke to Uchie who said this was like a dream come through for him, in his words “I’ve been thinking about shooting this video for quite some time now, but I’ve always had a problem with how I can actualize my ideas with a director who I may want to work with. So I heard of this MTV Base thing and I was just saying ‘oh yes it’s a good idea’ but I didn’t know I was gonna turn out to be the lucky one. I believe if I was chasing it, I wouldn’t have gotten it but it just came out from nowhere and here I am” The ‘rockumentary’ programme like it has been tagged by MTV making the video with shell will premiere Uchie’s ‘I am unique’ video across sub-Saharan Africa on the 4th of January 2008. Piece of advice – don’t miss it!

Source: hiphopworldmagazine.com
shelby101

Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 pm

I always loved Modey and knew he's got talent. Nice one talib got to see that. its naija jare.
Spitzofrenik

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:14 pm

Why are people tripping?......Mode possibly has more talent than Talib....so I don't see what all the fuss is about....
trae_z

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:12 am

was about posting a thread of this sort after going through nairaland: http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-99471.0.html nice to know though.
ghandi

Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:07 am

thats a good look for naij guys mehn!!

It's amazing how ignorant some of the most educated rappers are....?? Guess even Kweli doesn't know everything!!!
Fahrenheit

Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:17 pm

[quote name="Spitzofrenik"]Why are people tripping?......Mode possibly has more talent than Talib....so I don't see what all the fuss is about....[/quote]

THANK GOD YOU USED "POSSIBLY" BUT LET ME JUST TELL YOU RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO WAY IN THIS WORLD AND THE NEXT THAT MODE IS OR WILL BE BETTER THAN TALIB KWELI (NO HATE)

DO YOUR HOME WORK OR GUYS B4 YOU MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE THIS, CAUSE KWELI IS EASILY TOP 10 "DEAD OR ALIVE"

PLUS DONT COMPARE A CONSCIOUS RAPPER TO A PUNCHLINE RAPPER

facyl

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:02 pm

thats right, kwali stays amongst the top...
AK2

Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:06 pm

[quote name="Fahrenheit"]
[quote name="Spitzofrenik"]Why are people tripping?......Mode possibly has more talent than Talib....so I don't see what all the fuss is about....[/quote]

THANK GOD YOU USED "POSSIBLY" BUT LET ME JUST TELL YOU RIGHT NOW THERE IS NO WAY IN THIS WORLD AND THE NEXT THAT MODE IS OR WILL BE BETTER THAN TALIB KWELI (NO HATE)

DO YOUR HOME WORK OR GUYS B4 YOU MAKE STATEMENTS LIKE THIS, CAUSE KWELI IS EASILY TOP 10 "DEAD OR ALIVE"

PLUS DONT COMPARE A CONSCIOUS RAPPER TO A PUNCHLINE RAPPER

1[/quote]

They are very different rappers with different styles and are not similar. Kweli is more than just a conscious emcee. He actually has skills. He is known for his inventive lyricism. He makes his own hard hitting lines unlike some rappers who are forever biting Biggie and 2Pac.
  • Information