Honestly speakin , does keepin it real really pay in Naija

Moderator:Juma4admin

konko

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:30 pm

well well, seems theres no ignoring this topic eh? side talk it, shove it under the carpet, and it pops right back up! hmmmmm...

i say 'keeping it real' means doing YOU.... but then most ppl dont know who they are!! as far as im concerned u can rap in pidgin or english and still rep Naija, as long as ur "NIGERIANESS" is evident in ur flows, ur style, ur swag.... everything! u cant be on some Queensbridge steez and claimin u str8 reppin Naija?! for me, it don't cut it. i listen to some D'banj interview and i'm like "yea, dats a naija boy alrite"... i watch the Yahooze video, and i'm digging the 'original' Naija swag there... i'm bumping illbliss's Dat Ibo Boy, and im hooked on the Naija steez rite there!!

i'm not saying 'don't rap english' or 'rap only pidgin' .... but sometimes we nigerians have this tendency of trying to be more american than the Americans. wats the sense in targeting a global market when u have no home fan base? then u don't need a genie to know dat u won't get as paid as u would like to, and besides i do believe that ur popularity at home significantly boosts ur international rating.

well, the bottomline of wat i'm saying is, Keep It Naija!

my 2 cents.....peace!
Oakes

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:06 pm

Keeping it real again?LOL like Donmash noted,it keeps coming back again and again,and again it must be said its all relative,if a dude was bred and buttered in AJ city now starts waxing poetic about VI life and accompanies this with an accent that sounds like a badly tuned violin then the experiment would blow up in his face likewise if a young man was raised on kellogs and sesame street and the closest hes gotten to hard knock life was when NEPA strikes before daddy copped that generator and hes trying to be "street" then thats also kablow,so do what you are most comfortable with although it seems as if those who keep it real are in the minority because most of Nigeria is allegedly uneducated but thats not the rappers fault who is priviledged to be able to drop futuristic flows or mind benders, a rapper will always be judged according to the profundity of his thought and thats why Nas and JayZ camps will always exist,The art against the business.The choice is yours.Or Ours.
talktimi

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:20 pm

This argument actually started a couple of years ago when 2 shotz and big los delicious remix hit the air waves . A couple of friends including my former group members immediately attacked the song sayin the guys f****d up by using pidgin to rap and all that . i tried to explain to them the reality on ground in 9jas music industry to no success well , the rest is history , theyre still keepin it real while 2 shotz is living comfortably as a big boy concern . My advice to all cats out there . this is naija , the economy is hard , a country of 140 mill is a good enuff market , exploit it . Make your marketers happy and also make your account / yourself happy since we dont have a thrivin underground industry like the americans were tryin to copy . Use T.I as an example , i never liked him until i heard some hardcore under ground shit he did but knowin the reality of the situation on ground , he has a family to feed and hes doin just that very well now .
Niyex

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:18 am

Only few pple are keeping it real this days but generally, the other ones are just compromising their standards.
Nu'Rudeen
Posting Freak

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:54 pm

i basically think the term 'keeping it real' is overrated, u can have club bangers in ur album and still have hardcore metaphorical shit like spitz said just to appeal to that section of fans, giving everybody wat he wants to hear, thats meetin the demand, u cannot tell me ur keeping it real and ur not representing ur own(yes, speaking pidgin if it works for u), u can have ur club tracks, ur hardcore tracks, and ur pigdin tracks if u want, to me, thats keeping it real cos its representing ur own as well as doing ur thing.
WORD!!!

I've read the poem Rcube was talking about the blind men trying to describe an elephant and that to me is a very apt analogy to this situation.

There is no such thign as REAL in a general sense of the word so you cannot keep IT REAL. To SkyB he makes perfect sense, to Ajasa he's the shit, to Mode9 it dosent get better than him so please what is real? In terms of hip hop? What is hip hop? Krs1 and Nas dont rhyme the same way. Rugged Man is not as complex as Modo. Proverb is more poetic than Skwatta camp. faze is more refined than Tuface, more educated even. silvah sidduh has a better voice than OJB. So who is real and who is not?

In naija, Naija sells. what do nigerians want? if you're into music give the people what they wnt. I'm an ardent fan of the deepest Hip hop you can find. Talk Cannibus, Ras kass, killa priest, Nas , rakim, Talib kweli, Krs1, even TI, Wyclef, lauryn Hill, Masta Ace and a whole lot of others . But i'm not dumb enought to drop a joint on the same wavelength as these guys and expect to sell. Even in Yankee they dont sell so how can i be better from nigeria trying to do their thing?

I beleieve in striking a Balance. Lixe Xblaze said do your hardcore, wax metaphysical, go deep, bump street, snap and get crunked, do de garala, troway Yahoozee, wind your Swo and if you can fit all this one one album, good. If you can combine all that on one track better. To each man his own, you dont like the next guy's music, and i dont like your's so who is shittin who?

Let the world be, it will go round , the sun will rise and set even if you dont want it to, the days will come and go even when you are not done with your day's work, so just adapt and learn to live with it.

Do your thing, Live and let Live*, you're not 007.
Malcolm X

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:17 pm

KEEPING IT REAL IS NOT DOING HARDCORE RAP NEITHER IS IT DOING RAP IN PIDGIN...THE PHRASE KEEPING IT REAL AS IT APPLIES TO MUSIC REFERS TO IF A SONG OR AN ARTIST REACHES A CERTAIN STANDARD OF ORIGINALITY,DEPTH,APPEAL AND DIFFERENCE CREATION.

REALNESS IS NOT SOMETHING THAT IS INBORN BUT SOMETHING THAT IS OUT THERE ONE HAS TO GROW UP TO.LET US NOT CONFUSE STYLE WITH REALNESS COS IF MC ABC'S STYLE IS WACK,THEN HIS REALNESS IS WACK AND THAT IS NOT EVEN REALNESS IN THE 1ST PLACE.

REALNESS OR KEEPING IT REAL IMPLIES DOING MUSIC THE RIGHT WAY NO MATTER HOW TRENDY OR STYLISH YOU MAKE IT.IF EATING CARROTS WITHOUT MAKING NOISE WITH YOUR MOUTH IS THE REAL THING,I DONT CARE WHAT SPECIE OF CARROT YOU'RE EATING,JUST DONT MAKE NOISE. NUFF SAID!

back to the question...

IN NIGERIA,THE REAL ONES GET MORE RESPECT AND NODS BUT MORE CASH?....I DONT THINK SO.
  • Information