Honestly speakin , does keepin it real really pay in Naija

Moderator:Juma4admin

talktimi

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Nowadays everybody says we should keep it real in our songs . Thats the way i was brought up ie learning how to count my bars , incorporating metaphors and the like . But if you check out the scenery , while people like terry tha rapman are busy yarnin about how everybody wan rap , and basically bein broke , our favorite enemy sky B is busy makin his marketer happy and smiling to the bank . Omo boy dey cruise im lexus jeep round ph and they say he is not keepin it real. So what do u prefer ?
Spitzofrenik

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:59 pm

There's no such thing as keeping it real......the only duty a man has is to feed his family.....Naija rappers have to meet the market.....it's demand and supply......I personally prefer hardcore hiphop......but then I have no plans to make a living from HipHop......but if Emceeing is your trade and you are still doing that hardcore underground metaphorical shit, you are missing the point.....its just like rappers like Mode9.....they're doing hardcore tracks and refuse to spit in pidgin english.....and emceeing is their livelihood?......come on man!.....you gotta meet the demand!....provide the people with their party bangers....keeping it real only pays if people can relate to it......you cannot be spitting ill metaphors and expect to fill the dancefloors or appeal to Naija girls...
teckzilla

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:34 pm

[quote name="Spitzofrenik"]There's no such thing as keeping it real......the only duty a man has is to feed his family.....Naija rappers have to meet the market.....it's demand and supply......I personally prefer hardcore hiphop......but then I have no plans to make a living from HipHop......but if Emceeing is your trade and you are still doing that hardcore underground metaphorical shit, you are missing the point.....its just like rappers like Mode9.....they're doing hardcore tracks and refuse to spit in pidgin english.....and emceeing is their livelihood?......come on man!.....you gotta meet the demand!....provide the people with their party bangers....keeping it real only pays if people can relate to it......you cannot be spitting ill metaphors and expect to fill the dancefloors or appeal to Naija girls...[/quote]

Hmm interesting subject...basically I'd rather find a balance,I cant rap in pidgin and not sound like Timi or SID or (insert unknown numerous emcees that spit in broken english..exclude AJASA)..i didnt start out that way and I aint punking out.But dont get me wrong,No disrespect to cats that do that pidgin ish,my thesis is IF IT DONT FIT,DONT FORCE IT....its like telling DBANJ to start emceeing or an emcee to start doing Dbanj's style,it aint gonna work.I'd rather find a fineline like sean carter and thread the line,well all na mouth to find that line is anuther story.Thats just how I see it,i wont compromise my lyrical content just to do what my heart doesnt believe in..there that go..call me old fashioned or plain stupid..this is my story and am sticking to it..LOL
Raplogic

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:50 am

[quote name="teckzilla"]my thesis is IF IT DONT FIT,DONT FORCE IT....[/quote]Word on that line man. Basically, 'keeping it real' means doing you.Nuff said!
Xblaze
Posting Freak

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:34 pm

i basically think the term 'keeping it real' is overrated, u can have club bangers in ur album and still have hardcore metaphorical shit like spitz said just to appeal to that section of fans, giving everybody wat he wants to hear, thats meetin the demand, u cannot tell me ur keeping it real and ur not representing ur own(yes, speaking pidgin if it works for u), u can have ur club tracks, ur hardcore tracks, and ur pigdin tracks if u want, to me, thats keeping it real cos its representing ur own as well as doing ur thing.
Dr.Zinistah

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:10 pm

im beginning to observe what we talk about these days, thank God this particular issue has gone down recently, instead we chose to believe we understand what we are all about!

Fact is, Naija knows what naija wants, just go out there and give em what they want ... but if as it affects your pocket should then be a very important factor in how you dish stuff out and for what purpose then you should come to your conclusion whether it be ...

for a career

for a living

for a hobbie

for a life

for fun

for peace of mind

for preservation of the art and culture

me thinks we all have different particular parts where we fit in

shout out to all em cats out there that knows game when they see one ... one!
rheymophoebus

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Those three words "KEEPIN IT REAL!" as far as i'm concerned are very relative, but i'd definitely subscribe to Tecks thesis--if it don't fit, don't force it(THIS BASICALLY IS FROM A RAPPERS PERSPECTIVE) ; but that does not answer the question :D OES KEEPING IT REAL RELLY PAY IN NAIJA.- from a general perspective. When u talk of keeping it real, the first person that comes to ur minbd iz Mode9, but yet there iz still that lingering question:how real is mode9?-- i wuz at P.H some weeks ago n some well informed cats i bumped into weren't rilly about Mode's style of rap; i'm apparently at Asaba n the only Hiphop head i've bumped into thinks Mode is fake. personally he's one of ma favrite rappers, but that doesn't exempt or certify him as real. Back to the question at hand; does keeping it real really pay in Naija--- pay in what sense?, pocketwise?, respectwise?, recognitionwise or what!. KEEPING IT REAL!. WHO IS TO SAY WHO IS REAL OR NOT?. the question everybody has to ask himself, rapper or not is :how real am i to myself?.

Note that rapping in pidgin does not in any way mean that u r not real cos the American rap we listen to is basically done in pidgin. Pidgin English is Nigerias' unofficial national language next to the official Queens english that we were colonized with; cos its understood by every doctor, judge, mechanic, banker, street trader/hawker, politician, governor, bricklayer, armed robber, policeman, n what have we---- so rap done in pidgin english as far as i'm concerned is not even an issue.

But at the end of the day---those three words keeping it real as we all understand it in NAIJA DOES NOT REALLY PAY.
tsmooth

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:06 pm

aight... lemme blow this wholeu this whole 'keepin it real' thing open...

Firstly, as a naija boi leavin in Yankee... it really gets annoyin when i hear these rappers forcin acccents that sound so fake and nauseating... no matter how hard they try, they cant sound american... fakin an accent that isnt yours isnt 'KEEPIN IT REAL'. GINO is a prime example... accent is wack as hell... mode9's and OD are the only ones who have mastered the art of fake accents... lol

Secondly, how did ppl ever get to the point where rappin in 'THEIR' own tongue was considered selling out... I'm guessing that the people in France and Germany who cant speak english but rap in their own languages are also selling out... right??? Rapping in pidgin isnt sellin out... thats nigerian street language... its like sayin white rappers are selling out for rapping like white guys instead of in ebonics... retarded!!!

Thirdly, more than 70% of Nigerians are illiterate...and god knows that most of the rest cant even speak english. So, who is your audience? Are you rapping for ppl in yankee, majority of whom will never hear your work? or give a shit even if they heard it? or are you going to cater to the demand of the people who actually listen to and care about what you got to say?

My take is that dudes who are 'keepin it real' with the fake accents are actually the ones selling out... and those who rap in pidgin are actually 'keepin it real'.... Y'all jus have it backwards.

And rappin in pidgin aint wack. Most dudes who do it might sound wack, but guys like eldee and terry have shown that there is room for pidgin. I'm not sayin everyone should go 100% pidgin... but anyone who refuses to use it bcuz they want to 'keep it real' really is selling out. now if you are better in english and sound wack in pidgin... go ahead and do you... jus dont complain when dudes start makin that chees becuz they are keepin it real
Rcube

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:28 am

Dis whole debate on kepin it real never gets old lol//frankly it reminds me of d poem about d blind men tryin 2 decribe an elephant //one said it,s was a snake ,another a tree, another a house//d fact is dat we r all different /in our perpectives,orientation and upbringing//these diff perpectives always come 2 light when we bear our views //back 2 d naggin question does keepin it real pay in nigeria?? sorry back 2 d initiator of d

topic talkimi wish do i prefer ??4 me i,ll like 2 get paid 4 my art but i don,t rap bcos i want 2 make money//it,s sounds crazy doesn,t it in fact a little stupid well let me explain d method 2 my madness// lets say as someone pointed out dat 70% of nigerians r illierate wat if u belong 2 other 30%// do u think u could effectively make music dat would appeal 2 d 70 %//it,s like tryin 2 make better aj music than african china or danfo drivers//homie keepin it real is not a factor of choice but in reality fate

ok lets draw up an analogy usin 2 prominent examples mode 9 and ruggedman (yep here we go again 4 d hundreth time)//ruggedman looks at d game a a business man //makes commercially viable music//ensures his financial stability while mode refuses 2 compromise his art goes on win various awards accoldes both within and outside 9ja/// now do u think dat d both of them would have suceeded if

they had tried 2 do wat d other waz doin ????

bone lets even leave rap // do u think d music dat ty bello,reasonance ,infinity or even labaja makes as much money compare 2 dbanj or p square//they don,t but it still remains a fact dat good music is good music

my theory is simple try 2 b d best at wat u do and if u ain,t d best then aim 2 always do your best bcos it pays mayb not always in naira and kobo but it pays//and guys should really try 2 stop slingin mud on ppl names// d fact is 2 attain even d smallest form of recogntion in d nigerian music industry takes alot of hardwork,sacrifice and hussle so even if don,t like d music someone makes or d fact dat d artiste isn,t rollin in money still show respect cz dats d least u can do///but if u r a real loud mouth ,try pushin out your own cd and c how many peeps come and cop it//d game is simple show and proove //and d game don,t pay u pick up another hussle coz life is just 2 short

and yo watch 4 d brand new video dedicated 2 wumi obe,s late brother ft none other than Mode 9 and believe or not Ruggedman ..........peaceout one love
ghandi

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:54 am

"Keeping it real" does not pay anywhere!!!!!

As human beings we decide what is most important to us....why would anyone want to be broke, screaming out: "I'm doing it for the love of the art" and not see returns!

It's what differentiate's success from self-indulgence, which many rappers misktake for "art"!

So who would u rather be, NaS (worth a couple mil') or Jay (worth a quarter of a billion)??

Rappers can only find happiness in being true to themselves, not everyone is cut for the same amount of success!!
  • Information