WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MC AND A RAPPER?

Moderator:Juma4admin

darkmalc

Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:46 am

yeah gud topic. I'm new here like a high skool fresher and i'm already feelin ya. Personally i think e'ryone here is absolutely right 'cause i've been able to learn one or two things from the mixed ideas. How about d naija dude "M.I."? Listened to his "Crowd Mentaily" some time ago and was kinda cool .
kyt

Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:35 am

M.I is a proper MC, I like his music. Seems to me a good dude, from his music anyway. Dunno what he's like live but he's records are well laid out. Very simple and the message is clear.
endwayz

Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 pm

[quote name="kyt"]The game is not an MC not in my book anyway. He is a good rapper. An MC is like a Pastor with a message for his congregation - for upliftment, or correction. I think thats the simplest way to look at it. The industry isn't accepting the MC's as it used to. They are drooling over rappers.[/quote]

okay,i've heard u,he ain't an MC on your side,but i respect him for d science he droops on records,that album ''the documentary'' is d best rap album i've purchased in 5 years,if it's kept that way,then i prefer rappers to emcees,maybe it's cuz i over listen to rappers like pac,game,gino,and a whole,i think to me:RAP is all about spreading d message and minding ur methaphors.i'd rather relate to story telling rappers, than those who drop punchlines to prove they are d best.[quote name="fecko1"]
[quote name="endwayz"]i think this topic is d bomb,i was just wondering where ''the game'' should be classified,an MC or a RAPPER?.i think he is d combination of d two,but some peeps in ma hood seriously disagree with me.what y'all think. :? :?[/quote]hmmh...good question man...well the Game seems to be more of a gangsta rapper than a battle mc to me.[/quote]

okay bro i get u,just can't relate with talib or krs one,can't explain why i'm not really tripping 4 they way they rap,maybe it's cuz they are OG'S or mainly cuz they are freestylers.don't get it twisted............ 1
AK2

Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:40 pm

@ endwayz. I think Game is a gangsta rapper. But he is lyrical. U can be lyrical and dont have substance. Game has some substance no doubt. Gangster rap no matter what they is a sub genre of hiphop which was founded by battle rappers. I did my research. I guess to every one his own . But I read a crooked i blog at http://www.hiphopdx.com he said that he thinks Ice Cube is a gangster MC. read his blog for more details. because i cant really remember his definition of a gangsta mc. I relate to Talib and KRS One more though.
endwayz

Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:05 pm

i already checked out that shit on youtube,what can i say.............. not really the rap of hip hop i listen to ,i understand freestyling is a genre opf hip ,not hip hop itself,so if u classify freestyling as d greatest part of the game,then i am forced to disagree with you,i rep krsone and all those freestyle wizards but to me:jumping aroung on stage,repeating ryhmes,braggind abt beign d best is boring to me,don't get it twisted cuz i also perform on stage with a mad energy,but when it comes to records i give it up to rappers.think abt it.............. don't 4get nas,pac.scarface,biggie and a whole lot in a hurry.1
kyt

Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:46 pm

Dude I see that you are doing an Nsofor(missing the point) on this one. What I was pointing out on that clip was the message he had. Did you see him talking to the ladies and telling them how much they are worth. It was motivational and enlightening not just freestyling. He was saying something. Nas speaks through records. So does scarface. Records are all well and good but cats like Krs, Common, connect with the people. Its like you can physically touch them and see wat they see and not just be like a fantasy in the eye of their fans. Ya dig. Ah well every man to his own, if u mess with the other bunch its all good. Just pointing out wat I think is the difference.
Nu'Rudeen
Posting Freak

Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:34 pm

[quote name="kyt"]Dude I see that you are doing an Nsofor(missing the point) on this one. What I was pointing out on that clip was the message he had. Did you see him talking to the ladies and telling them how much they are worth. It was motivational and enlightening not just freestyling. He was saying something. Nas speaks through records. So does scarface. Records are all well and good but cats like Krs, Common, connect with the people. Its like you can physically touch them and see wat they see and not just be like a fantasy in the eye of their fans. Ya dig. Ah well every man to his own, if u mess with the other bunch its all good. Just pointing out wat I think is the difference.[/quote]

Word there brother.

When I here 50, I dont get moved to make money because he has so much I dont think I can match it. but when I hear Common or kweli or even that chick from floetry, I want to be a better person. I want to change my way of thinking to appreciate this world better. Thats what an MC should do. Make you think about something in a positive light but most rappers are negative, espousing things that are not always morally correct. Sex, drugs, getting money by any means, violence and all that crap. and by the way , talib and KRS1 dont always freestyle, they do it to show how good they are. without sitting down to think they create things thatd take a lay man weeks to write.
endwayz

Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:06 pm

[quote name="Nu'Rudeen"]
[quote name="kyt"]Dude I see that you are doing an Nsofor(missing the point) on this one. What I was pointing out on that clip was the message he had. Did you see him talking to the ladies and telling them how much they are worth. It was motivational and enlightening not just freestyling. He was saying something. Nas speaks through records. So does scarface. Records are all well and good but cats like Krs, Common, connect with the people. Its like you can physically touch them and see wat they see and not just be like a fantasy in the eye of their fans. Ya dig. Ah well every man to his own, if u mess with the other bunch its all good. Just pointing out wat I think is the difference.[/quote]

Word there brother.

When I here 50, I dont get moved to make money because he has so much I dont think I can match it. but when I hear Common or kweli or even that chick from floetry, I want to be a better person. I want to change my way of thinking to appreciate this world better. Thats what an MC should do. Make you think about something in a positive light but most rappers are negative, espousing things that are not always morally correct. Sex, drugs, getting money by any means, violence and all that crap. and by the way , talib and KRS1 dont always freestyle, they do it to show how good they are. without sitting down to think they create things thatd take a lay man weeks to write.[/quote]

no pain brothers,i gat u all,right now i am some how cleared but there are still a lot of stuffs that are still stuck in my brain ,i've got to understand that mceeing is hip hop in it's raw form,

while the former is pop in it's polished form, :idea: :idea: ,no pain brothers,this is why i believe that no teacher on earth can teach me stuffs Hip hop teaches me,but sincerely i've got no respect 4 broke rappers,maybe it's the reason why i prefer rappers,also i don't think all rappers are money motivited,some of them drop shits that send u to tears...,''the game'' recently improved alot,i think peeps should kind of flash back and remember that track:;;start from scratch''... also the one with yayo:''running''i think both emcees and rappers are vital to Hip hop.1
MHP

Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm

Difference between an MC and a Rapper? Hmm. I kinda agree wif Nuru and kyt here.

An MC makes me feel better about myself and doesnt necessary call girls 'bitches'...wateva man...jus kiddin'.

About the Game and whether he is an MC...well...I still love the Dreams track or maybe its the beat cos he wasnt really hittin' the nail on the head.lol But apart from that one...i dont dig gangstar rap...nah no disrespect intended tho'

UHURU!
  • Information