WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MC AND A RAPPER?

Moderator:Juma4admin

AK2

Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:28 pm

While I was listening to a KRS One CD I heard something like a MC can be a rapper but a rapper can not be a MC. Could u give examples of rappers and emcees both in Nigeria and all over the world. Lest I forget I am a new member and this is my first post.
Path

Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:57 pm

Wassup AK2, just wanna bless you with your 1st response. Nice topic the way I see it is Rappers just rap with no thought to concept or direction of where an album is going the current music climate is perfect for rappers but not that good for MCs. Most Naija Hip Hop artists are rappers as they are mainly looking for that big hit song or are trying to substitute their lack of skill by jacking their favourite US rappers' swagger. Don't get me confused coz most of the songs I rock to in clubs are by rappers. The few Naija MC'S that pop to my mind now are Modenine and Cashino.

http://www.myspace.com/paththedon
I-Shine

Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:56 pm

What's good AK2? Nice posting...An MC is an hiphop ambassador someone that represent hiphop while a rapper is someone that just want to make it to the mainstream and make some cheddars. An MC is also an hiphop teacher someone that drops knowledge...MOS DEF, Common, Talib Kweli, KRS are examples of MCs...Our own MOde 9 falls in the same category. An it amaze me that Mode 9 laid vocals for several minutes and made it free for his fans (NigelBenn Soul Edition Mixtape), that is another characteristics of an MC...a rapper will make you pay for every second he spend in the studio. lol
teckzilla

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:07 am

example of an MC being a rapper...fabolous...4get all dat bullcrap he does to satisfy the mainstrem...the fact is dude can spit but now I guess being a rapper pays his bills so there that go. example of a wack rapper= nutty pin...wat the hell,his moniker is even wack not to talk of..hey wait a minute he cud be reading this and try and set me up..omo i no do..later :lol: :lol: :lol:
TReasure

Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:22 am

nutty pin did have a super song, just didnt create as much buzz

that song with a bunch of ppl frm err part of lagos

somthin like " im givin props to d hood i come from, jus like hiphop we keep livin it up"

that beat wulda made a sick ring tone , damn

anyways, rappers rap, MCs teach

if its creatively worked, shows education and intelligence, then thats an MCs work

if its dumb, sounds like somethin u heard b4, and really aint saying shyt, thats a rapper
teckzilla

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:58 am

[quote name="TReasure"]nutty pin did have a super song, just didnt create as much buzz

that song with a bunch of ppl frm err part of lagos

somthin like " im givin props to d hood i come from, jus like hiphop we keep livin it up"

that beat wulda made a sick ring tone , damn

anyways, rappers rap, MCs teach

if its creatively worked, shows education and intelligence, then thats an MCs work

if its dumb, sounds like somethin u heard b4, and really aint saying shyt, thats a rapper[/quote]

the nutty pin joint was hot cos of the numerous rappers that were featured on it.....not specifically cos of nutty himself....ois will smith an MC or rapper...I know,I just wanna know wat yall think hahaha...he good though..check his old lps
ms.Rain

Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:12 pm

[quote name="teckzilla"]example of an MC being a rapper...fabolous...4get all dat bullcrap he does to satisfy the mainstrem...the fact is dude can spit but now I guess being a rapper pays his bills so there that go. example of a wack rapper= nutty pin...wat the hell,his moniker is even wack not to talk of..hey wait a minute he cud be reading this and try and set me up..omo i no do..later :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I think Ludacris falls under MC that is rappin' aslo... he is very lyrical... but fell under the mindset of mainsteam rapping
teckzilla

Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:45 pm

[quote name="ms.Rain"]
[quote name="teckzilla"]example of an MC being a rapper...fabolous...4get all dat bullcrap he does to satisfy the mainstrem...the fact is dude can spit but now I guess being a rapper pays his bills so there that go. example of a wack rapper= nutty pin...wat the hell,his moniker is even wack not to talk of..hey wait a minute he cud be reading this and try and set me up..omo i no do..later :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I think Ludacris falls under MC that is rappin' aslo... he is very lyrical... but fell under the mindset of mainsteam rapping[/quote]

yeah second u on that,luda is in his own world ...anuther sub category..an MC's MC...example is NAS,RAKIM,KRS One...Nas is a special case...he made MC's sit the eff up after illmatic dropped and the only MC that can..no that has outshined him is AZ...check lifes a bitch and tell me AZ didnt kill it...nas's verse was tight(very tight) but AZ was way ahead of his time in 94 spitting multi syllables and intertwined cadence...fuck wat ya heard AZ is the rap-world's uncrowned LEGEND....a lotta cats might frown but real heads know...Jay-z is also an MC's MC....ask GZA.....dude gave Gza a hardtime when they battled in 92(halftimeonline interviews).....wack rappers are in abundant nowadays so i aint gonna waste time on em...One
Enigma

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:03 pm

bottom line an mc can rap but a rapper can never mc
kaydee

Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:39 pm

[quote name="teckzilla"]
[quote name="ms.Rain"]

I think Ludacris falls under MC that is rappin' aslo... he is very lyrical... but fell under the mindset of mainsteam rapping[/quote]

yeah second u on that,luda is in his own world ...anuther sub category..an MC's MC...example is NAS,RAKIM,KRS One...Nas is a special case...he made MC's sit the eff up after illmatic dropped and the only MC that can..no that has outshined him is AZ...check lifes a b***h and tell me AZ didnt kill it...nas's verse was tight(very tight) but AZ was way ahead of his time in 94 spitting multi syllables and intertwined cadence...f*ck wat ya heard AZ is the rap-world's uncrowned LEGEND....a lotta cats might frown but real heads know...Jay-z is also an MC's MC....ask GZA.....dude gave Gza a hardtime when they battled in 92(halftimeonline interviews).....wack rappers are in abundant nowadays so i aint gonna waste time on em...One[/quote]

I think Scarface killed Nas on the "Favor for a Favor" track too.I got same respect for AZ too and i feel he was the best on that track too
  • Information