on signing deals

Moderator:Juma4admin

Xblaze
Posting Freak

Wed May 30, 2007 10:19 pm

[quote name="Boggie1"]em it doesnt matter if its indie or not, Good music is good music[/quote]

word..
Gimmick Bomb

Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:22 pm

tnx guys.but i still got more questions.what does a production deal entail?i.eur production is financed.what in turn does the '"dealer'"get in return.and wut if i went to a label,say qbeats or storm.which of the three are they likely to offer.i got so many questions men.as i think them up ,ill hit u guys.tnx.
Infiniti Ent

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:15 pm

aight son, i'll try to break down this whole business of getting singed for u. dont know how its done back in africa but over here it goes something like this.

good to start off with some definitions. whats a major and what is an indie?

majors are the big boys, the power holders, they run the industry, got mega marketing schemes and distribution reach. they could sell ya cd in the the north pole if they wanted to. eg sony, def jam, interscope etc

indies are the small timers, tend to focus on specific markets and targets. not heavy on marketing and distribution. eg koch

they both got pros and cons, majors would fuck u so bad ya girl wouldnt recognise u, limited creative freedom, decent advance money, but ruthless deals, too many mouths to feed off ya cd hence pennies per cd sold. so if u flop, u bust and highly likely to get dropped or shelved eternaly (Joe Budden comes to mind)

Idie money is ok, not great, less mouths, but limited exposure and resources, hence some of the shitty beats u would see on say a dipset album.

I need to get some red bull, will be back in a minute
Infiniti Ent

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:23 pm

so u ask where to go? i cant answer that, its up to whether they wanna sign u in the first place. music has become a risky business so investments have to pay off. basically to get signed u need to be terribly hot, and at least have a fan base and be marketable. the days of signing unknowns are dead, u have to put in big work for the labels to even have a glance at u. so i'm sorry but ya 3 songs seem a little bit short.

so basically u have to make some 'noise' and hope an AnR notices and is interested. thankfully with the internet etc it aint all that diff any more. do shows, do gigs, create contacts, network etc. its painfull and depressing stuff but if it pays off God knows there are no limits. but the truth of the matter is 90% or 'artists' will never get signed and out of the 10% who get signed only about 40% will make it big. so the odds are terrible. But hope is such a beautiful thing....
Infiniti Ent

Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:46 pm

so say u get noticed and some one takes an interest, well they'll come up to u and be like we wanna have u on board, can we listen to anymore of what u got. u pull out the demos and wish u had redone that verse u was hurrying over. of course they know ya ass is broke as hell and u prob couldnt afford decent studio time. they recog some potential and are willing to 'shape' u up. they offer u advance money (which most artists tend to stupidly spend on bling and sex orgies with groupies), then they tie ya ass down to for say 5 albums and some meaningless royalties. u sign anyways hoping u can make money off tours and shows etc (cus thats were the money is for artists, cus by the time the label, distributors, marketing, legal, and producers take their cut off cd sales u lucky if have anything left for u. dont forget your manager and persanal team get paid from YOUR share.)

all excited, u sign on the dotted line and walk out a signed artists. then its off to recording, promo and God willing album release.

but if that album dont sell for some reason, remember u are tied to a 5 album deal, then thats pretty much the end for u, u cant buy out your contract (lil Flip did though, but that very rare), and basically u have to wait till the label deems it fit to release another album from u (joe budden springs to mind again). so there u are, advance money spent, tied down in a deal u cant get out of, feeling u the hottest shit no one is ever gonna hear off again. the lil buzz u got off ya debut is dead, and u, my dear friend become another name on the list of forgotten emcees... G-Dep, Black Rob, Knocturnal, JT Money, Coo Coo Cal, etc

the reason i paint this picture is a lot of cats dont know the real face of the industry, u gotta be mentaly strong, put in hard work, cross ya fingers, toes and pubic hair and pray the gods of music smile down on u.

its for all the above reasons that i found new peace producing, u make quiet money off it and since there are countless rappers out there dreaming of making it, u will never run out of people to sell beats to.

Good luck my man and hope this lil essay helps. forgive the spellings etc.

Peace!
Jgillz

Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:19 pm

[quote name="Gimmick Bomb"]hey,naija wud up.i got like 3 tracks recorded.and i got a single on radio.bin trying to get a deal but its difficult.moreso cos im in med skul.can anyone offer help[/quote]

How far 've u gone wit promoting these tracks u ghat? how many radio stations r playing ur songs or song.... and where r dis radio stations based? Do u 've any video?
Enigma

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:12 am

2 tell d truth i feel indie is d route 2 go especially when it comes 2 doin hiphop in 9ja

d financial burden is huge i know but 2 tell d truth which label new or old has made huge profit from signin a rap artist

eventually d artist will b forced 2 compromise and start makin d everyday ready made club track

even distribution thru alaba may become impossible intel says some marketers r returnin copies 2 rap artists

d fact is rap music has a small and disperse fanbase spread in areas like jos,abuja,kaduna,ph,benin etc

lagos is a community more use 2 dance music // so if u r more of a lyrical or concious mc your chances just get slimmer

it,s rare 2 find a c e o who want 2 invest in an artist who has not got major readymade buzz surroundin him or his lead singles

wat am i sayin //peeps like chammillionaire and TI were makin money independently b4 gettin signed
Jgillz

Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 pm

[quote name="Enigma"]wat am i sayin //peeps like chammillionaire and TI were makin money independently b4 gettin signed[/quote] is dat very possible 4 an up n coming artist? I mean here in 9ja... cuz I know loads of guys who r very good with some couple of demos, but r findin it very difficult 2 break thru into d mainstream... what kind of advice do u 've 4 such artist
nfeeltraita

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:21 pm

but the truth of the matter is 90% or 'artists' will never get signed and out of the 10% who get signed only about 40% will make it big. so the odds are terrible. But hope is such a beautiful thing
Zuda,great essay,but could u have possibly been any more pessimistic ,dawg? :lol: :lol:

but u're right tho,the music biz is a dicey competitive one.i've always wished there was an "underground" infrastucture, whereby, rappers could be heard and make some decent money off rapshows.maybe the best way to go in naija is just to sell out of the trunk of our cars!
Infiniti Ent

Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:39 pm

I have to be real with folks. a lot of people see the 50 cents of this world and think 'shit i can be that' but they dont know the amount of work it takes to get there. granted some dudes get lucky but most have to put in major work. no need to be blinded.

my advice to unsigned acts is to network. this cant be overemphasised. network with other upcoming act, eg, upcoming producers offer 'free' beats to upcoming emcees with the latter shouting them out in the songs. next nlink with with even shitty radio stations, give promo copies of your ish to nightclub djs. radio djs, even cd retailers. trust me if they come accross a banga they will will jam that ish to the hills (every body wants to be the one who discovered the next Tuface lol)
  • Information