Is Anybody Else Watching the West African Idols Auditions?

Moderator:Juma4admin

lola4mii

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:42 pm

ooh gussshhhhh,am so happy a musical contest like d 'idols' could be organised in west africa[d southafricans had done it last year]...and 'bout d auditions....gussshhhhh, i couldn't help but laugh....especially at d Abuja auditioning....i think most contestants dont know what d idols is all 'bout...they think is some starquest show...and 'bout d judges...forgive me but i really dont know what dede is doin there....he's an afrobeat artist....am down wit dan foster and about dat nana girl...cos she knows she is not as hot as Naija chics....most of s contestants r much more beautiful n talented than her...before d idols i had tipped 4 judges ..they are[onyeka onwenu,reggie rockstone[ghana],olisa adibua and ayo animashaun[hhw]...holla.
lawyerchap007

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Am gonna have to retract my post about Chinwendu Onuorah's rendition of Cher's 'Strong enough' being the most hilarious of the West African idols auditions. Last night i saw some spectacularly bad performances both from the contestants and the judges. There was Emily who delivered a horrific rendition of Avril Lavigne. She sounded like a parrot being sodomized and Nana wasted no time in telling her to give up on her dreams of singing. Though the performance was bad, i also feel that remark was unnecessarily cutting and could cause some serious damage to the young lady's psyche.

then there was six foot five Armstrong who did a song that had the judges cringeing yet he continued lustfully belting out his horrendous tune. When he was mercifully stopped Dede adopted a crying voice and asked him "we quarrel before you come here? you know me before? i know you before? you know my family? i know your family? so why are you punishing us like this? if you destroy my eardrums how will i hear what is happening outside? He rounded off the tongue lashing by remarking that Armstrong's height was the height of his stupidity. Even Dan and Nana visibly flinched when they heard that. As for Armstrong, he left with a promise to the judges that he would destroy as many eardrums as he could with his atrocious singing. That got a good laugh out of the judges and, i imagine, everyone else watching.

Pint sized Kingsley Ogbonna came to do a rendition of Michael Jackson's speechless. I was speechless by the time he was thru. and so were the judges. It was unbelievably bad; you have to see this performance to believe it. Then Nana's mean streak came to the fore. She asked him to perform Billie Jean. Nothing prepared me for what came next. Wild gesticulations, garbled lyrics, comical moves, easily the worst performance of Billie Jean that will ever be seen in public.

Another pint sized diction-challenged contender called Kunle came with a serious attitude and a stunning H-Factor. Listen to him. Nana: Can i help you? Kunle: i heard about the Haidols competition and i came to become Mr Haidols. Dede mercilessly mimicked him and stopped just short of saying 'how many times have i told you to stop hemphasizing hon your h you hignorant hidiot?

Broderick and Ayodele came with original compositions that would probably be hits in Ajegunle but were so funny that i rolled off my settee with laughter. Obviously they both got rejected.

Sylvanus Bulechukwu was born in 1969. At 36 he was way out of the age range for the competition, but Dede allowed him sing just for the record. He was stunning in his performance. Stunningly bad. He delivered an original composition titled 'Money Good.' Duh. There are no words to describe that performance. it seemed to be a cross between spoken word, rap and prayer. there was no element of singing in that mix. there was also no iota of talent. Dede called him an Agbaiya and Dan helpfully translated that for us to mean Old Fool.

but the performance of the night for me was by a Jomo-Gbomo kinsman named Godspower Gentle. He did a remix of the popular Hymn "what shall i render?' But his rendition substituted 'render' with the Urhobo pronounciation 'nender.' That for me was the most hilarious performance. Please people, tell me you saw that performance. After the song he tried to flow waffi lingo with Dede who is from Warri by saying things like 'warri no dey carry last.' In this case warri carry last pieces, my guy.
lawyerchap007

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:36 pm

The judges worst performances of the night were the robberies of beautiful Ezita who sang beautifully but was said to be singing nasally by dede., Almira who was stunning and on whom Dan delivered his most shocking NO to date and Tina who sang better than some people who went thru to Planet 1. Dan also delivered another shocking No to Annette's superb performance, luckily she was saved by Dede and, unbelievably, Nana.
chukky76

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:00 am

@lawyerchap07

yo whens the show on DSTV? i'll be coming to your crib to watch it cos i just loved american idol and i'm really dying to see what africa can do with this.
afterburnais

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:11 am

one thing i dont get bout d whole judgin thing is how d damn judges r rating d contestants,like dis 1 chick sang dangerously in love and dudes kicked her off cos she didnt sound like beyonce even tho her voice was perfect and shorty was doin her thing,i thot i was watchin west african idol,not west african copycat!and dan foster is always on d fence bout somethin,and what in God's name is dat nana's damn problem,chick is definately a hater,always sayin no 2 all d chicks,shes probably pissed she went plastic sellin her own records whereva she's from,probly wish she was 1 of dem contestants,not a judge,probly wouldnt make it past d first round tho!infact,d judges suck black hairy ass!!!(even tho i hav 2 giv it 2 dem,some of d contestants suck,like d 'i believe i can fry' girl).oh also,it seems ghana is gon win dis thing.
kaydee

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:28 pm

@ lawyerchap007

I dey enjoy ur blog here,abeg no stop oh!
lawyerchap007

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:33 pm

We’re three quarters of the way through to finding out who the top10 West African Idols contenders will be. Group one saw Omawumi and Timi make it through from an exceptionally strong field. Everyone in Group one deserved to go through to the Top 10 after they all sang the stuffing out of their respective songs. Ibitoru, the albino with attitude and a goose-bump inducing voice performed Madonna’s Like a Prayer to rapturous applause. Lara George showed her class with a rendition of Celine Dion’s 'It’s all coming back to me now' that was easily as good as the original, while Uche and Ekanem also gave us something to shout about. For their performances though, i had hoped Lara and Ibitoru would go through but looks must have done them in. Lara suddenly went all to fat after the birth of her first child, while Ibitoru, well, let's just say Nigerians still have a bias against albinos. But Omawumi and Timi outdid themselves on the night and totally deserve to be in the Top10.

The second group was nothing to write home about. Everyone in the first group was better than everyone in the second. Eric and Jerrilyn simply made it through because two people had to go through. And they went through because Eric has looks to die for while Jerrilyn came to Idols with a story screenwriters would kill for. If you ask me, i'd say Jarry had a better voice than Eric, but looking at the bigger picture, Eric was a better choice. In any case, Jarry was from Liberia (what's the population of Liberia sef?) and you cannot argue with Nigeria's 120million voters. But i consider it a travesty that a run of the mill singer like Jerrilyn made it through while exceptional performers like Lara and Ibitoru and Ekanem had to go home.

Group three was better than group two but not by much. Ama, a hot looker from Ghana (no 18 year-old has a right to look like that) set the tone for the night by going tone-deaf in the first stanza of Cher's 'Strong Enough'. Then on came Confidence Rufai with a contra-alto rendition of Dido's Thank You, which was pretty impressive but apparently not good enough to get her into the Top10. Mercy brought the first stand-up ovation worthy performance of the night with a Jazz-club flavoured performance of Sinead O'connor's classic 'Nothing Compares to You'. She was absolutely brilliant as she combined melody and power to bring a throaty essence to the normally sweet-as-molasses song. Michael was up next singing Madonna's 'Goodbye'. He took so many liberties with the song, it was almost criminal; and combined with just enough effeminate hints to get Africa wondering about his sexual orientation, he was a goner from the word go. Earnest brought Mercy a challenge for the performance of the night but appeared to shy away from the really high points of Lonestar's "Amazed". But the performance of the night belonged to Jodie singing Bryan Adams' "Have you ever loved a woman?" There are no words to describe her performance. Just suffice to say that it firmly established her as a contender for the crown. The hall was in raptures when she finished and no one was left sitting down. She made the song her own in a way that would confound Bryan Adams himself. It was no surprise that she made it into the Top10. It also wasn't surprising that Mercy made it through despite Mike Majik's best efforts at creating suspense.

Well, we're waiting for the final group to perform on sunday. My picks, based on what i've seen of them at the auditions are James Brendan and Joan Ekpai. But It's still a pretty strong field, with Temitayo George and Sokari Briggs also looking good for those tickets. So my Top10 will look something like this:

Omawumi

Timi

Eric

Jerrilyn

Jodie

Mercy

James

Joan (please understand that from this point i am purely speculating.)

Lara (of all the third placed people in the groups so far, she's the best. So, we haven't seen the last of Lara at Idols West Africa)

The tenth place is still open until we see Sunday's performance.

The show rocks for sure and i hope they all achieve their dreams, whether or not they win at Idols West Africa.

See y'all after sunday's performance.
kaydee

Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 pm

@ lawyerchap007

U too much!!! U shud be a writer in one of those weekend papers
apopyalips
Posting Freak

Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:31 pm

She sounded like a parrot being sodomized and Nana wasted no time in telling her to give up on her dreams of singing. Though the performance was bad, i also feel that remark was unnecessarily cutting and could cause some serious damage to the young lady's psyche.

i wish i could be doin that to some so called rap artist that storm studios down here tryna record their compositions, but the money meyn. shit, i wish i could.
kaydee

Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:36 pm

@ Lawyerchap007

I'm chillin for you oh! Can i paste ur words somewhere else? I'll credit my source.
  • Information