Is Anybody Else Watching the West African Idols Auditions?

Moderator:Juma4admin

lawyerchap007

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:10 pm

Hey y'all

Has anyone else been watching the West African Idols Auditions? The judges have been making some inexplicable selections. Some really hot talents are being rejected while some average performers are being let thru to the next round based on some really flimsy reasons. But we're sure of one thing though, Nana (the Ghanaian female judge) is definitely not a lesbian as she's been going nuts for the fine naija guys coming to show their stuff. She's judging, not with her eyes and ears, but with a part of her anatomy usually reserved for ... well, not for judging musical talent. She appears to have beef for the lovely ladies with really powerful voices and keeps voting NO when the performer is female. But even the male judges have slipped at least once in this regard when they were completely overwhelmed by the electrifying presence of Titlayo Adelagun, whom you’ll remember as the main chic in the Freewindz video. She looked absolutely stunning as she did her average rendition of Evanescence’s My Immortal. Apparently, with such beauty whistling in their ears Dan Foster and Dede Mabiaku didn’t quite hear the flaws in her voice or in her delivery. But trust me, she does look threateningly like idol material if we were going by looks alone.

The Abuja auditions showed that more of the country’s singing talent is in the federal capital city. Hordes of great singers were turned away including six footer Somto, Hebrew-named Cyteka and a delightful 18 year old half caste who’s name escapes me now. A shocking selection for me was the 18 year old runt of a guy who’s going to be cannon fodder and comic relief when he gets to the next round. But the fact that he was chosen over some of the folks I’ve mentioned is a travesty indeed.

Hope you guys are watching this. It’s absolutely delightful. There’s thrills, laughs and tears aplenty. Check it out on Chaannel 37 DSTV and let’s talk about this.
fecko1
Posting Freak

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 pm

I heard about the West Africa Idols Auditions sometime ago but I really didn't follow it up.It's nice dropin the latest info and updates about the programme,and i'd appreciate it more if you could give me the official website of the Tv show.

hOlla...
fecko1
Posting Freak

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Naija-man thanks for the info....u too much bro! :)

~One~
zero

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:49 am

[quote name="lawyerchap007"]Hey y'all...[/quote] LOL...i thot i was the only 1 who was jobless enough to be watching that ish! i actually think i've watched every single audition (abj & lag that is)...Dede's one crazy ass! funny dude (if the great fela was still alive, i wonder if he'd be 1 of the judges...i guess we'd never know...)

yea i thought the half-caste shawty should have made it through...she could definately sing...she was just nervous + she'd have definately been eye candy for the cameras...i can already all those secondary school boys cussin the judges...lol! cyteka & that 18yr old guy who rendered mario's "you should let me love you"...would prolly go far...cos beside's the fact that they both can sing...the "cute babies" factor might garner them votes...if they haven't been "PDPied" out of the final 24 already! (i heard that there was a lot of that sha).

Even tho i don't particularly agree with every single judgment...i kinda get an idea of what they're looking for...a few cats that can really sing, some cats that look good for the cameras then...some clowns!

there was this low-cut shawty that sang beyonce's irreplacable horribly...while doing some lap dances...it definately wasn't singing that took her to planet 1.
nfeeltraita

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:46 pm

Havent been jobless enough to watch yet, but from d way u guys r hyping it, it should be a nice way to laugh my ass off @ off key singers
zero

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:05 pm

[quote name="nfeeltraita"]Havent been jobless enough to watch yet, but from d way u guys r hyping it, it should be a nice way to laugh my ass off @ off key singers[/quote] u'd laff till u hurt...i can assure that!
Ghostic
Posting Freak

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:24 pm

[quote name="zero"]u'd laff till u hurt...i can assure that![/quote]

Dyeem,that program is a real comedy.I think most of them there were not really inform about what IDOL is all about,the kinda stuff they(the judges) are looking out for.Many just made fools of themselves,making humans like me laugh my arse out...Dede,you good...make them now how wack they can be! Dan,finish that stuff and get back to the studio.Who is this Nana sef?

ONE!
lawyerchap007

Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:36 am

Did anyone see the hilarious performance by Chinwendu Onuorah the six-footer sista who looks so much like a model? Her rendition of Cher's 'Strong Enough' had me in stitches. She does sound quite a lot like Cher and she got my full marks for enthusiasm. But the judges got it right when they said no to her. Everyone seems to be mad at Dede Mabiaku. Though i'm doubtful whether he has the musical credentials to sit on that panel, he does bring a certain something to the show. His presence is mildly threatening and sets the contestants ever so slightly on edge, which i think is a good thing because the Idol will need to be a supremely confident individual. He keeps spouting stuff about 'losing the essence of the value of your voice' which i'm sure sounds extremely knowledgeable to the contestants who only get to hear it once. But for us at home who have to hear it over and over again, after the fifth time it started to look like he was saying it to cover up for a lack of knowledge. Dan Foster is the most unpredictable of the judges, he's given some truly unexpected Yes votes and some shocking NOs. But i guess it all adds to the appeal of the show.

Abrewa Nana is a household name in Ghana. She's 27 and is the first female artist in the Ghanaian music industry to have her own album in the contemporary 'Hip-Life' category. A trained accountant who followed her musical aspirations, Abrewa Nana is a skilled dancer and singer with three albums to her credit. But i think she's really got beef for the chics. It's harder for a camel to pass thru the eyes of a needle than for Nana to say yes to a pretty babe. There was a guy who told her he liked her name before his performance. And after his atrocious performance Dede gave him a straight no. Nana almost went to war over him. I was like, HELLO?
Eldot

Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:26 pm

I've only gotten to watch a couple of the African Idols show, and I gotta say that I cracked up like a feeble clay pot. Yo...how in the hell did that guy.(..Dede or whatever his name is...) get on that panel of judges??! That dude sucks bollocks for real. He should quit trying to be the "Simon" version on the panel.

As for the Ghanaian chick....thanks for the info lawyerchap..I never heard of or knew anything about Ms. Nana until i read your post. I just thought she mustve been a great "chook", and "earned" her spot up on there. On the real though..Lawyerchap007..you should have been selected as a judge man, you have some ON POINT assessments of the aspiring singers.A good analytical eye.
  • Information