my issues with MOST naija underground cats.....

Moderator:Juma4admin

darque

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:26 pm

i think the real problem here is originality. like augustus khan, am a bitt on the fence here. the thing is that , most nigerian undergorund hiphop acts are too stereotypical. here's the formula: git "underground", go and diss some other nigga and start some fresh beef, and oh!, b4 i forget, them broke-ass producers(yep, most naija producers are brokeass) produce dark, gritty beats that don't always go with the rhymes.

another reason i think is the mentality. i think (due to observation), most underground rappers have this mindset that if you don't "follow the crowd" so to speak, u ain't real underground or hiphop. they believe the beats (once again , have to be dark and gritty)
darque

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:34 pm

and besides, does eedris rap? i think he does more singing than rapping nowadays :? :?

i mean, that "jagajaga" song is evidence, right?
lordmuzuzu

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:22 pm

like i said before,forget dat weed shit,it makes ppl like us see things from da real perspective.....u dont even touch it then why condemn it????since u dont know how it makes u feel. talkin bout eedris abdulkareem,go listen 2 his nu album"letter 2 da president" & tell me wots up!!!like it or not eedris is Hiphop from da way he does everything....

zero,u know something,do a tight Hiphop joint & try distributing it 2 at least 95% of radio personalities & lets see wots up!!!
toon-x

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:21 am

i think the weed isht inspire some peeps a lot,they go to the next level whenever they take it and you 'em dropping like hell...i\

ve got a guy in my hood like that.

About this UnderG watever,what i wanna say is just that:

UNDERGROUND IS INVENTIVE

OVERGROUND IS EFFECTIVE
zero

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:43 pm

[quote name="lordmuzuzu"]like i said before,forget dat weed shit,it makes ppl like us see things from da real perspective.....u dont even touch it then why condemn it????since u dont know how it makes u feel. talkin bout eedris abdulkareem,go listen 2 his nu album"letter 2 da president" & tell me wots up!!!like it or not eedris is Hiphop from da way he does everything....

zero,u know something,do a tight Hiphop joint & try distributing it 2 at least 95% of radio personalities & lets see wots up!!!
[/quote] read again...i didn't condemn it...i don't like being drawn into this arguements but FYI...one of the tracks i helped promote made cool FM abuja's top 10 most played of the yr 2005...and it's not a party song!

-hustle gets ur song on air...making good songs get u heavy rotation...period!
trae_z

Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:37 pm

[quote name="zero"]

-hustle gets ur song on air...making good songs get u heavy rotation...period![/quote]

true word!!! Styl-Plus even though ABJ based didn't have to go begging to get their songs slammed in lagos and nationwide in general. same as 2face.

but let me give an exception... azadus' "madam" is a wack ass song. but kennis promoted it so much and it was put in a party jamz mixtape by them pirates that it became engraved in our sub-conscious and fucking popular.
Westwind

Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:03 am

what makes a good song is relative......and we gots to hustle to let people receive em or it is all for no cause....

the underground is all about self-expression and has nothing to do with sounding intelligent....if it is ya style...do it...don't try to be someone else.

controversy sells, but don't go raising false smoke....remember the chinese curse "be k-ful [email protected] ye wish 4"

i understand ya concern with the undergroound zero. a lot of katz see it as an excuse to try and be what they not, but like toon-x said...it is all about inventiveness [if there's a word like that] creativity and personal style mark. i've been groping underground for the couple o yrs i've been in production and i like what i've seen per creativity....there is a lot of promise down there....

but like almost any other system....it is a beautiful dreamy garden with real toads in them....when the toads start taking ova.....there's a problem being given birth to.

~1~

Big_Foot
zero

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:57 pm

[quote name="trae_z"]
[quote name="zero"]

-hustle gets ur song on air...making good songs get u heavy rotation...period![/quote]

but let me give an exception... azadus' "madam" is a wack ass song. but kennis promoted it so much and it was put in a party jamz mixtape by them pirates that it became engraved in our sub-conscious and f**king popular.[/quote] i never liked the song particularly...but u can't argue the fact that d beat was very catchy.
apopyalips
Posting Freak

Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Do we really have underground & mainstream in Nigeria. alright, i'll agree that we have mainstream but i don't think we have underground.

y'all shouldn't get it twisted, being underground does not mean ya stuff won't get airplayed or sold. a lotta underground cats in the states are getting their work sold & airplayed. back in the days, it use to be word of mouth; apart from airplay, there are other means thru which an individual artist can get his work publicised. funk flex has alotta trucks parked in strategic places where u can bill posters of ya up commin album.

let's not get it twisted, what's being underground?

is it doing eithing by ya self or not getting signed?

or not getting a marketer due to ya kinda work?

Like i said, nigerian music hasn't reached the level of having underground & mainstream artists afterrall, the so called mainstream cats are not better(financially) than the so called underground cats.
lordmuzuzu

Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:57 pm

meen in "mainstream artist" like you ppl call em are better off than "underground" acts in tymes of da pay,u dont have 2 beleive dat.....zero most tymes getting mad air play on radio goes beyond makin a tight track...u guyz said somtin bout styl plus & u think 5mics did a bad track wit mode9?are we gonna call OVERDOSE a mainstream act?as far as im concern,he is still underground but dat means OVERDOSE has not been killin em with phat tracks???

...meen NAIJA music scene is fucked but nothing dey happen,we shall bring it back to "LIFE".like it or not EEDRIS ABDULKAREEM IS HIPHOP..all his track has WHA I CALL BANGING BEATS!!!!......nuff said abeg!!!
  • Information