Dj TEE videos and all the hype!!

Moderator:Juma4admin

zero

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:33 pm

Dj tee this, Dj tee that...everywhere i turn Dj tee...ah! ahn! is the guy really that good? or maybe i aint watching the same videos with everyone else cos i think the guy aint all that...he's just over hyped! ok...he learnt cinematography in kosovo or where ever...so? men naija video's are not there yet oh...we still far behind...thank God for chanel O and mtv base africa, y'all see the quality of videos from other countries abi?...south africa,kenya, uganda & even ghana sef! i almost died off shame when i was watching chanel o's awards...did y'all c d difference in quality between the styl plus video & all d other nominees for d same award? almost everytime i watch a naija video, my tv screen suddenly looks dirty, colours flying up and down,always grainy lookin...and abeg if u cant use green screen dont! it makes the quality from those cheap camcorders look cheaper!...the sound quality/scoring...poor! and what's with repeating scenes over and over(e.g baraje)...plss!!!!!! shoot enough scenes now!

i aint saying dj tee's straight wack,elbow room (mode 9), tongolo (d'banj) were well directed...atleast the feeling off the song was rendered visually...d guy's camera angles r tight...etc but pls compare those videos to most of the other videos from other countries (in terms of quality)...dj tee tries to hide the poor quality of his videos with graphix/ effects (proof?: see d dark edges/fish eye look of 2shotz odeshi & delicious [...still on delicious...whoever painted those walls behind them should be shot!...lol...like WTF?], graphix on elbow room...etc )...

i aint seen a lot of new videos of late but quality wise d best videos i've seen are:

-p square's get squared...infact all their videos i've seen have been well shot...so clear...big ups to whoever does them.

-da trybe's oya: ayo shonaiya directed that so it was expected (as per his U.K experience)

tongolo was good but all d shots outside d white room where wack (quality wise)

my advice to all d naija artists that read this: if its not too expensive, hire a nollywood camera crew to do ur video (atleast they get the quality) and direct ur own ish!

i no people would jump in here and say "atleast we should give him a pat on d back" :roll: its all the "pats in d back" tolerance that make things not change in the game...kennis did their ish...we "patted" dem in d back...have they improved :?:
lordmuzuzu

Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:16 pm

meennnnn zero,i've been nursing same idea too ooo but if muzuzu sats something like dat,everybody gonna be like "he is senseless"..hahahahahahah....da picture qualities of his video makes me wonder if he's dat dope...da only video dat has a good picture quality he directed was "tongolo"....u will sure agree wit me dat modenine's "fomidable" deserved a better video.haven said dat,he can still improve but
lola4mii

Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:22 am

well zero i quiet agree wit u dat d quality of naija videos r really wack...i also watched d channelo awards...but lets really face it to mii dj tee is my fav. director @ least 4 now...it aint his fault....look what y'll dont know is dat artist pay 4 what they want...some of dem cannot afford 2 shot a good video...do u know how much dat tongolo video costed d'banj...if u want a good video..u pay good money..if u wanna talk bout wack directors.. u talk bout nomoreloss....even uzo okpechi...he directs music videos like he's directin' a nollywood movie..n yet he was given best video of d yr 4 'oruka'..imagine..when tongolo is there...so ppl it aint d directors fault...d shit is dat if u want a good video...u pay good money...holla back.
zero

Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:12 am

aaaawwwww we agree for once...that's soo sweet! lol...Image

ok..seriously now,dj tee prolly ranks amoung the best in naija but what i'm saying is even our best are wack...someone just made me see it from another point of view earlier in d day, he was like "haven't u noticed that even the really nice quality naija adverts are not shot in naija?" & it hit me...even4 "gulder ultimate search" they got the crew & producer from south africa!

oruka was a good video though...compare the outdoor shots in it to the outdoor shots in tongolo (...forget the night/darkness excuse)
lordmuzuzu

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:10 pm

lola, making of good videos is not always money..i take dj tee 4 instance,is it money issue that makes most videos by him not fit 4 da eyes in tymes of say 4 example,pictures? well,maybe its a case of the camera(s) been used but sincerely speaking,if dj tee is our best from naija,wit d current wayz his videos r been shot,we still got like a million miles to go....we all saw good videos from dat RnB group "styl plus" and da directors of such videos r never given thumbs up including different beats used by "styl plus " in their released singles......like i said before,DJ TEE i beleive will improve wit tyme.no ill feelins 4 him though...
kyt

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:53 pm

[quote name="lordmuzuzu"]lola, making of good videos is not always money..i take dj tee 4 instance,is it money issue that makes most videos by him not fit 4 da eyes in tymes of say 4 example,pictures? well,maybe its a case of the camera(s) been used but sincerely speaking,if dj tee is our best from naija,wit d current wayz his videos r been shot,we still got like a million miles to go....we all saw good videos from dat RnB group "styl plus" and da directors of such videos r never given thumbs up including different beats used by "styl plus " in their released singles......like i said before,DJ TEE i beleive will improve wit tyme.no ill feelins 4 him though...[/quote]

My man which styl plus videos are u on about :? I admire styl plus talent but I don't like the quality of videos that they produce..Except its a video I haven't seen.
lola4mii

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:39 pm

[quote name="lordmuzuzu"]lola, making of good videos is not always money..i take dj tee 4 instance,is it money issue that makes most videos by him not fit 4 da eyes in tymes of say 4 example,pictures? well,maybe its a case of the camera(s) been used but sincerely speaking,if dj tee is our best from naija,wit d current wayz his videos r been shot,we still got like a million miles to go....we all saw good videos from dat RnB group "styl plus" and da directors of such videos r never given thumbs up including different beats used by "styl plus " in their released singles......like i said before,DJ TEE i beleive will improve wit tyme.no ill feelins 4 him though...[/quote] yeah...zero for once we r together on dis issue n plz lordmuzuzu which styl-plus video r u talkin' bout.. to mii all styl-plus video lack good camera quality... i think our directors need to go borrow cameras 4rm tunde kelani 'd cinamatographer'....hola
lordmuzuzu

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:18 pm

The video for "run away" is pretty kool nowwww...its got a nice concept & da camera location was fine,same goes for another RnB group "Xproject" which makes me think of whass crakin wit our "rap stars"...atimes we disagree 2 agree...NUFF SAID!!!
zero

Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:54 pm

the styl plus videos video's suck major ass quality wise...in my opinion runaway was the worst! most of it was green screen...their costumes (white) sucked...d only cool thing was the graphics @ d end...which is a free template u can download on the internet...their excuse is that the marketer rushed them into shootin videos so...

@lola4mii: i just did some quick research...watched a few videos...uzo opkechi actually shoots better videos (quality wise) than dj tee...his videos are sharper with more balanced colours compared to Dj tee's dull videos...dj tee does better direction tho

-the two sunny nneji video's were good on that level...

-baraje (was him too right?) wasn't bad on that level too.
XiliX

Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:56 am

[quote name="zero"]Dj tee this, Dj tee that...everywhere i turn Dj tee...ah! ahn! is the guy really that good? or maybe i aint watching the same videos with everyone else cos i think the guy aint all that...he's just over hyped! ok...he learnt cinematography in kosovo or where ever...so? men naija video's are not there yet oh...we still far behind...thank God for chanel O and mtv base africa, y'all see the quality of videos from other countries abi?...south africa,kenya, uganda & even ghana sef! i almost died off shame when i was watching chanel o's awards...did y'all c d difference in quality between the styl plus video & all d other nominees for d same award? almost everytime i watch a naija video, my tv screen suddenly looks dirty, colours flying up and down,always grainy lookin...and abeg if u cant use green screen dont! it makes the quality from those cheap camcorders look cheaper!...the sound quality/scoring...poor! and what's with repeating scenes over and over(e.g baraje)...plss!!!!!! shoot enough scenes now!

i aint saying dj tee's straight wack,elbow room (mode 9), tongolo (d'banj) were well directed...atleast the feeling off the song was rendered visually...d guy's camera angles r tight...etc but pls compare those videos to most of the other videos from other countries (in terms of quality)...dj tee tries to hide the poor quality of his videos with graphix/ effects (proof?: see d dark edges/fish eye look of 2shotz odeshi & delicious [...still on delicious...whoever painted those walls behind them should be shot!...lol...like WTF?], graphix on elbow room...etc )...

i aint seen a lot of new videos of late but quality wise d best videos i've seen are:

-p square's get squared...infact all their videos i've seen have been well shot...so clear...big ups to whoever does them.

-da trybe's oya: ayo shonaiya directed that so it was expected (as per his U.K experience)

tongolo was good but all d shots outside d white room where wack (quality wise)

my advice to all d naija artists that read this: if its not too expensive, hire a nollywood camera crew to do ur video (atleast they get the quality) and direct ur own ish!

i no people would jump in here and say "atleast we should give him a pat on d back" :roll: its all the "pats in d back" tolerance that make things not change in the game...kennis did their ish...we "patted" dem in d back...have they improved :?:[/quote]

Zero ...Dude,

I feel you on that one, but you guys can not really blame the directors and sometimes the artists. For example, Nigerians like showing off and when I say show off I mean, spend money on unneccessary things than re-investing the money on projects that will make their work better "quality wise".

Personally, I think DJ Tee is a great Naija music video director, and with the way he's going, he can really be one of the very best of all times, only if he cross checks his work before releasing it. For example, in the Mobolowowan Video, the Tripod and Camera he used was showing on Dbanj's Glasses with Dj Tee shooting, that's unacceptable but apart from checking his works muliple times, I think he's fine and I like low budget videos like that Mobolowowan because it held me to the TV throughout the whole video, so I have to give him some props for that.

Zero, you seems to be pretty knowledgeable about cinematography, you might want to start doing something from aside oooo :) and by the way, do you have links to uzo opkechi's videos or if you can list the ones he did, I think that will be cool too.

[quote name="lola4mii"]well zero i quiet agree wit u dat d quality of naija videos r really wack...i also watched d channelo awards...but lets really face it to mii dj tee is my fav. director @ least 4 now...it aint his fault....look what y'll dont know is dat artist pay 4 what they want...some of dem cannot afford 2 shot a good video...do u know how much dat tongolo video costed d'banj...if u want a good video..u pay good money..if u wanna talk bout wack directors.. u talk bout nomoreloss....even uzo okpechi...he directs music videos like he's directin' a nollywood movie..n yet he was given best video of d yr 4 'oruka'..imagine..when tongolo is there...so ppl it aint d directors fault...d shit is dat if u want a good video...u pay good money...holla back.[/quote]

Lola4mii,

I actually got to meet nomoreloss when I went to Nigeria, he came to the set of Omolara and he even featured in Omo Eko, very nice chap and willing to help out. I know for a fact he directed one of Tony Tetuila's latest Video out now called ... Damn, I forgot, but anyways it is a song Tony did with the group VIP (artists from Ghana).

I watched the video and personally, I feel it was very well done.

I have to say the best is yet to come especially since we have some very good directors migrating from "Hollywood" to Nollywood and I have to say ya'all just need to be patience cuz 2006 is not gone yet and 2007 ... let's leave the story for the story teller :)

Yeah, Ayo Shonaiya is a good director too and he produced D Banj's music videos, not direct, produced while DJ Tee directed them.

• Information