Nigerian hip hop scene overrated?

Moderator: Juma4admin

apopyalips
Posting Freak

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:02 pm

it's crazy to me how all these songs i've been hearing won't be accorded appropriate rep. why will m.i's track-somebody wants to die, be nominated as the best single of the year? sometimes i think there's nothing like hiphop scene in nigeria. i tried ma best to put ma city to the map but shit didn't work the way i wanted it, i did thousands of beats for alotta rap artists, put out the best mixtape/compilation and all that but nothing serious happened. wen't to radio stations and got played like a week next, they started demanding money cos they knew ish will blow. it's funny how the so called "hiphop heads"(i put that in quote for a reason), now wants to sell out cos of inferiority complex.truth is, nigerian music scene is still on preliminary stage and there's alotta opportunity for everybody out there. eldee xtra large started 360degree hiphop culture on rhythm 93.7 but emcees in portharcourt never took advantage of that program. everybody tlked about lagos as the main stay of nigerian music industry but when i went there, i didn't see anything. i actually was in a show where 419 squad,blackface,mode 9, femi kuti, etc where featured but nobody came. the ticket was 2500ngn with buffet that's worth more than the ticket fee. nigerian hiphop scene is overrated cos i know in other african countries, hiphop is big and real emcees are given due recognition and there's competion. are u tryna tell me if this was south africa, m.i's track-somebody wants to die, would be recognised for an award?
Meyer Lansky Ent

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm

dont worry ..very soon the sheep will be seperated from the goats.its unfortunate we live in a country that celebrates mediocrity and embraces wackness ,however detest realness and abhor artistry....me i forsee a future where all this will die...to me MI REMAINS WACK thats all ..its my opinion and im sticking to it..so illbliss and jesse jags came into the industry at the same time ??? i didnt know that..why is he nominated for revelation of the year??? ..its so nauseating,but thats ecause rappers just keep quiet.i keep asking this question??? WHICH GENRE OF MUSIC IS GOING TO SPEAK OUT AGAINST ALL THIS MESS,is it FUJI,APALA,KONTO,POP,SANGALOW etc??? whats happening to HIP-HOP..people are saying its Growing..THATS A HUGE LIE ...dont decieve yourself..okay how many HIP-HOP producers go nominated..??? XYZ of str8buttah,Kraft,Gold lnx has never gotten an award in Nigerian Hip-Hop and he produced bulk of Malcom ix..look until a real HIP-HOP HEAD is in the helm of affairs,wackness will continues to hold sway,and us EMCEES will just relax and sing about henessy and swagger and lagos and abuja party all year long..nice one...

WE DO IT FOR THE LOVE..

#nowplaying Carry am Go 2 shotz
Isotope

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Real hiphop heads think being broke is cool.They don't wanna pay for anything.Talking that its for the love shit!! Fruck that..If you really want something to grow-plant it gaddemit!! put ya money where ya mouth is.Get up,get out and get something man!.I have already given up on the Naija hiphop scene anyway. Haven't anyone heard Str8Buttah's song with Waje?? No one has said anything about it here yet!! You can see the mixed reactions on notjustok but I would like to hear views from Real Cats in here!..Food for thought
mr rehd

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I totally agree with you Aps,the scene is overrated so much that shit that aint hiphop is classified as hiphop.Hiphop is the new buzz word in naija and knowing how we like to bastardize shit I'm not suprised by the over-amplified noise being made.

The lifestyle is what most people are following-knowingly or otherwise- not the music per se.
apopyalips
Posting Freak

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:26 am

u right about that bro, and i want to believe that u're back in ahh for good.

i still respect people like str8 buttah and mode 9 for doing their heart and still get mad props. i was motivated to be an emceee cum producer for a reason and that reason is still my drive. our hiphop music industry is overrated and i bet u, terry d rap man or whatever he's called, wouldn't have been known if he came off sounding like eedrils abdulkarim while he was on payback tyme. don't forget the power of networking,money and media in driving any merchandise. learn about the psychology of proximity. listen to str8 buttahs' intro. people like clowns cos they can help them relief their stress. most nigerian performers are clowns that demean women. hiphop to me is a tool to do alotta thing, either u use it to educate or u use it to lead astray. i was able to witness a show in umunede when i was coming back from lagos on a night trip. it was insane watching dudes whyle out like animals when terry's free madness was played. i witnessed a girls being raped and all that, it was absolute madness cos some how, their unconscious decoded the music and it's heeding subliminal evil messages. i bet u dat dude-terry G is possesed and when i heard his dad is a pastor or priest, i believed it. nuffsaid for now

this is a comment i posted on another thread but i think it's better off here lol
siege
Posting Freak

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:08 pm

true talk ceedril...... but i believe its up to us to right the wrong... am a producer and it hurts my freakin brain wheneva some dude steps in my studio and tells me he does hip hop and then starts singin som terry g influenced tone. makes we wanna pluck my hair out
dagreen

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:22 am

One of the MAJOR issues is not being able to push Real Hip Hop out there. The radio is shady, and people in Nigeria are generally up for that Terry G shit. Doesn't mean that they wont listen to the real but the powers that be think otherwise. Sad but it's in our turf now. We've got to shove our faces into their zone and rectify things.
bolaji

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:05 pm

yall need to understand the mentality of the immediate operating environment which is nigeria, most people dont even understand english talkless of hiphop, my opinion , whether we make noise from today till next year, some mediocres will still rules the airwaves and play whatever they wanna play. the point is everyone has a taste and it will remain like that forever.word of advice ,let those who wanna keep it real keep it real, those who wanna be fake keep it fake, only time will tell how the clock ticks.
endwayz

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Bolaji,i think u're right on dis 1, sme cats that we all started drooping tight ish,i mean fucking real shit that people wndered and sme felt we gonn blow soon.But nw shit's changed,they think we ain't gonn blow with this style of crap,nw it's one dance track after d other, thu we've gonn our seperate wayz but i still think ain't nth we kan do abt it.fuck rap 4 now.
Aqbar

Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm

I take sides with every one here. It can't step to whats happening in S.A, and it wont in a long time, period.
  • Information