The Authoritative Nigerian Hiphop History

Moderator:Juma4admin

nebuchadnezzar

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:44 pm

First,I must say this is a task and if it's to make it to the magazine it must be ready in a week.

I want to put together a complete article on the Nigerian hiphop history and not leaving anything out.To do this,I need inputs from every quarter,so reaching out to all either reminding me of an individual or group that contributed to the nascent Nigerian hiphop culture,events and related hiphop happenings including your takes on particular events in history.As I can not solely give an article that would be accurate as I would like but If you think you can,do holla. 1.I hope I got the message across?
Juma4
Posting Freak

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Wow! One week....

Now I have been working together with a friend on a special for African hip jop radio focusing on Nigerian rap on vinyl LPs from the 1980's. Not necessarily all hip hop, but definitely inspired by American hip hop at the time from the likes of Sugarhill gang. The artists that we feature include names like Dizzy K Falola who was really more known as a boogie/soul artist but he did drop a rap track back in 1982 already!!

I guess that would be of interest to you but I don't think it is gonna be ready within a few days. Will put it up on the site as soon as it's done though!
ROGERS A.K.A GEEMONEY

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 am

My Perspective!Hiphop started in Kd.

Nigerian music industry is a blessed zone,big ups to the founders and promoters of it.When talking about the roots and bearings of hiphop in Nigeria we just have to trase it back to where it all started,and that's Kaduna state of Nigeria.Although,LAgos had it going on but it was more for the paper and fame,whereas in kd it was strictly for the love of the game and the art,imagine when boys just start freestyling on the basketball court just as we do see it on TV on how the Yanks do it.A walk through the memory lane recollected that Hiphop artiste/MC's and Lyricist such as Mode9,The rapman,Ruggedman,OD,LD,Freestyle,Dr Fresh and the new discovery,M.I all had som'n to do wiv kd either in their early lives or there after,its either they schooled,lived or were from kd.Not forgeting the singing line though,artiste like D'banj,Silver Saddih,Dare Art Alade not to mention a few,started in kd before the sprung all began.Today,Lagos is at the peak of it all (thanks to kd),and not to forget the fact that Kd is far left behind coz of the stupid religious crisis and political state of mind inclined,while most of its bloods rather go to LAgos where the game is appreciated better.If hiphop was a baby,it will call kd its mother.Hiphop started in kd,"When the western world really "really" recognizes Nigeria,then we'll all know that Kd is the area.remember,this is how i see it

My perspective........
zero

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:02 pm

i'd advice u talk to modenine (he's got a song on it produced by our own kid konnekt...wonder that didn't make cd), the two eldee's them SWATROOT peops, Ayo animashaun...they're not the pioneer's but they'd give u good insight.
zero

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:08 pm

...and i may add...there'd never really be an "authoritative Nigerian Hip hop history...just different opinions.
nebuchadnezzar

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:09 pm

@ Juma,I'd stil be lookin forward to the AHH material.

@ Rogers,thanks for the input

@zero,thanks for the suggestion,would reach out to them.'authoritative' is just a title that i hope would reflect on the article makin it the most comprehensive acknowledging every single individual or at least a vast number of individuals' contribution to our local hiphop scene.putting all the various opinions into 1 'research paper' article
funmo

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:32 pm

man that project u bout embarkin on is crazy,,,,nnooo wt i mean?good of you.,u'll ave to work and resaerch real hard,....bub no matter how hard and mad u try 4get bout gettin a 100%job done..but u can get a 99.9one done man...inform m,e when u're tru wit it..........and 4 ur ears only u gonna bag a guinesss world record for doin tis man..1st ot it in 9ja's hiphop history.....tis's crazy men..booooooooooooooommmmmm :lol: :D :P
wreck-a-damus

Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:04 pm

well it's massive. you've got to do your due dilligence in collating and collecting necessary info cos there's a lot to this except you want to narrow it to the 90s from the Teeny Boppers LTV show that discovered the likes of De-weez, Junior & pretty to The late 90s top 10 countdown with kenny and D1 that threw up the Remedies or even steve the slick dropping Dr FResh's Tracks those times , so it is vast. i guess... youmight want to narrow the era you need info on. pz
nebuchadnezzar

Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:16 pm

@ wreck,yea,was thinkin of doin it era by era cuz I'd love to take it all but my first go would be the 90s era.

I waitin a clearer input from you.thanks
Audiophille

Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Sounds like a good Idea. Any history on Nigerian HipHop, has to start with Emphasis. They were Nigeria's first ever HipHop act. Signed to Premier music. Released an EP titled BIG DEAL in 1992. Had 2 hit singles off that: Cool Down no Vex and Which one you dey?

After they broke up, they showed the suits that Naija hiphop could be profitable. Junior and Pretty were subsequently signed after that and the rest is history.

I was only a kid when they came out, but it was a big deal (no pun intended) for me anyway to hear pidgin english rap. I've searched the internet high and low for a link to any of their tracks, but i haven't been able to find anything.

But if you're researching, you need to check them out. Peace
  • Information