MI ALBUM REVIEW-TALK ABOUT IT

Moderator:Juma4admin

Meyer Lansky Ent

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:40 pm

I Totally agree with MI A.K.A Most Incredible, that his album is one of the most anticipated offerings in Nigerian music till date, coupled by his single “crowd Mentality”, and his win of best hip-hop artiste at the hiphopworld awards 2008, a lot of fans, critics and hip-hop heads alike have been anticipating an album from this “short black boy” and finally, the album LETS TALK ABOUT IT is in the stores now, and though not exactly what I expected, the album is above average

The album starts off with “Anoti” featuring Gabriel, where MI Tears the beat down furiously with a flow reminiscent of a young and hungry twista where he spits hard and lets heads know he’s actually a lyricist, then on the hollow “short black boy” where he further affirms his lyrical depth with lines like “he wrote the crowd mentality/reality, equality and no formality can silence his originality” MI Maintains his lyrical dexterity on other cuts like the Djinee assisted “Safe” where he shows his creativity lyrically by mimicking mainstream naija artistes like Timaya and Durella. and also on “Blaze” feat Jesse Jags, Ice Prince and Blaise,an ode to Marijuana where every featured emcee maintains his lyrical skill and delivers lines that rekindles hope in Naija hip-hop.

The short comings on the album include too many party tracks that should have been sold to artistes like 2-shotz,or Ruggedman, LIKE “Teaser” featuring Pype, “Area” featuring YQ and my own favourite “Forever”, Also,KRAFT fails to deliver an inspiring beat on the “fast money fast cars” featuring Wizkid but MI shows his wordplay with bars like “Kelly Handsome is Handsome imma tell him when I see him/but if I want a man it would be Keke or D1" although MI delivers lyrically,the dancehall beats and clumsy production do not help at all. also MI does not play outside the box, he confines himself to the normal naija emcee stereotype. Although taking risks by featuring relatively unknown artistes MI stops at that and refuses to bungee jump any further. Another flaw on the album is the incessant use of Yoruba lingo, and slang’s ,to forcefully endear himself to mainstream Lagos audience falls short as it sounded like putting a square peg in a round hole.

After such a long wait, MI has wetted our appetites but failed to create an identity for himself in the naija hip-hop scene; the album elevates his status, but doesn’t create a niche for him. The album makes a good listen, but MI would have to do much better than this if he wants heads to revere him and accept that he’s truly the “Music Innovator”.

MEYER LANSKY SCORES THIS 6.5/10
Audiophille

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Another good one. Well done. I haven't heard the album yet, but your review sets the tone. These cats need to sort out their distribution. Neither "talk about it" or the "paradigm shift" are on Itunes. How are you supposed to buy it if you don't live in Lagos?
Meyer Lansky Ent

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:51 pm

well i get my albums directly from the market cuz i follow it up and i make sure i listen up well cuz i rate them
zero

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 pm

[quote name="Audiophille"]Another good one. Well done. I haven't heard the album yet, but your review sets the tone. These cats need to sort out their distribution. Neither "talk about it" or the "paradigm shift" are on Itunes. How are you supposed to buy it if you don't live in Lagos?[/quote]

i'm surprised Paradigm shift aint on itunes yet...mode had that on lock long before the album was done...and i'm sure talk about it would hit itunes soon...chocolate city's that kind of setup...
r6

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:28 pm

yeah,meyer lansky. good job on dem reviews but i think u're doin a gr8 job,but,i also think u should be very clear at showing "ur" opinion cuz stuff like MI using yoruba slangs to sell in lagos n all dat,u cant say?? he mite just like doze kinda stuff naturally. u cant say cuz US rapper the game calls a lot of names n says the same old "six fo'" n dre this n compton dat means he's loookin 4 recognition or sumtin.its something u noticed.... fine.but u cant b so sure of the reasons.no disrespect tho

speakin on album reviews i cant wait for sanchez's 100% BC review n others cuz that album confuses me till date. keep up the good work n lets bring hiphop to its feet in nailja
ik-sl!ck

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:31 pm

Bros, you sabi do review o! Aint heard the album yet. My fingers are crossed though because this guy has potential. Will post comments later.
Audiophille

Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:39 pm

R6 said:
but,i also think u should be very clear at showing "ur" opinion cuz stuff like MI using yoruba slangs to sell in lagos n all dat,u cant say?? he mite just like doze kinda stuff naturally
Basically, a review is the opinion of the reviewer, so i think he can say that. You can then either agree with him (which you obviously don't) or not. We need more reviews on this site, so if you've listened to the album and feel like giving it a shot....
MHP

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:20 pm

One question tho'. Is the Crowd Mentality track on the CD?
  • Information